I'm going to Florida, any ideas of where to go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwedl, Mar 28, 2007.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Hi Guys/Gals

I'm going to Florida between the 5th - 19th May and will be staying in an Apartment on Marco Island, I will have a car so I can travel, for 5 days I will in Orlando visiting Disneyland and Universal studios. But when I'm back in Florida can anyone recommend any funny/intresting things do do? I do want to visit a Cheesecake factory, is there one in Florida?

Thanks

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There are two Cheesecake Factories in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. One is on Las Olas, the other is in Sawgrass. There are more, obviously, but we've been to these.

3. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

What are the best cheesecakes?

4. Queso macrumors G4

Go to Cape Canaveral. It's really good for the geeky. You can see real bits of the Moon and everything :)

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well you'll have about 30+ choices, according to personal preference.

6. iGav macrumors G3

I was going to suggest that. :(

7. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

That sounds quite good!

I like the look of them especially, ADAM'S PEANUT BUTTER CUP FUDGE RIPPLE, CHOCOLATE OREO® MUDSLIDE CHEESECAKE, SNICKERS® BAR CHUNKS AND CHEESECAKE, PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CHEESECAKE.... I feel sick just thinking about them

8. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Go to Miami. Miami is one of the best places to live in Florida.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I was waiting for you to add the :rolleyes: to that. Maybe you were serious, though. :)

10. Queso macrumors G4

Then that's another vote for NASA :)

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not only is their cheesecake good but their food is great as well.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Miami is my favorite U.S. city actually. But then again my entire family is from there ... no we aren't Cuban, my great grandparents lived there. If you know the good parts of the area (Coral Gables, South Beach, even the Everglades, etc.) it's an amazing place.

If you are going to do a lot of driving then I'd like to recommend going to Naples. The beaches there are beautiful (10 times better than Miami's) and are a good example of the Gulf Coast.

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

palm beach+everglades

i suggest you take a quick tour of palm beach island and the everglades while you are here. i've biked on the island when i lived in west palm beach (i live in the country now), and it was wonderful. this should take you a few hours. it has the historic breakers and a few other nice areas you should really check out. a bunch of my friends work over there, especially the breakers, it's swamped full of college students.

there are many everglades parks, not just the national park south of miami. the city of west palm beach runs grassy waters, which you can get in for free, and it has an everglades feel. there's also the arthur r. marshall reserve about 30-45 minutes away from there. there are a few others, but can't think of any right now. south florida is full of those everglades, i live on what used to be the everglades before it was drained by those stupid melaleuca trees. you may want to visit soon, as the whole everglades is in danger right now and has been for years. sorry for turning this into a save the environmental rant, but i'm sick and tired of seeing natural habitats go in this area for the latest condo and mini mall.

if you have enough time, go to key largo. it's only about an hour or so drive from miami, so it won't be as annoying as going to key west or the faraway keys.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Couldn't agree more. Even just the drive to any of the keys is well worth it. It's so gorgeous I've almost run off the road many times.

15. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I would drive the beach highway along the panhandle. There are also lots of state park beaches over there. They don't comb and its a great place to find an abandoned beach with lots of shells! I live about 6 hours north and try to get down there at least once a year to wander for a weekend.

Cape Kennedy would be great too, I don't think there will be a launch that week, sorry! It is one of the most amazing things on earth if you ever get to see it.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Yey! Go to the Cape... :D

17. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Im sorry for the error but it hasn't been called Cape Kennedy since 1973!:p Whoops. But there is some good news for you. There is a launch 2 1/2 weeks from now, STS-117. These things always get delayed. You might have a chance to see it launch if not just to see it in the hanger. We are retiring these old girls in a couple of years, so see them while you can!

18. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

Excellent, I will try to be there if it is delayed, I'm fed up with england, my job etc etc so I can't wait to go!

19. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Well you wish has come true! HAIL DAMAGE! Its on the external tank. If they choose to switch it out it will take at least 2 weeks! Here's to wishful thinking:D.

If you get really bored, we have the only 2 original Saturn V's left here . One we did a fundraiser to straight stand up. ITS AMAZING!!!!!

I don't know if you ever seen it, but they did the Space Camp movie with Lea Thompson here in Huntsville.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Sure, it's a great place if you like insane property prices and equally insane insurance costs. And hurricanes. And off-the-chart rudeness. And some of the worst drivers in the U.S. And...well you get the point. I know every city has their own problems, but Miami is simply awful in the above categories. (note: I live here. ;) ) I will say the food choices are great, though.

--------

I'd stick with the beaches rather than the tourist-trap theme parks. The west coast of FL has some nice places (Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island, to name a few.). The Keys are also good bet. Cape Kennedy is also nice if you like space history. The Florida Caverns are interesting, but that's way up in northwest FL.

I really like Florida...just not the city where I live. ;)

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

Last I checked, Orlando is still located in Florida. ;)

From my point of view, the Keys are one of the best places in Florida to visit. We try to go about once a year, although we probably won't make it this year. We don't go to Key West generally, but stay in Islamorada, which is about halfway down. The Keys are just so beautiful and so relaxing...

22. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

you said it on the first part. this place is just like new york.

and yeah, i would stick to the beaches and the such rather than the orlando tourist trap. take a drive down us1, it's beautiful.