I'm going to Japan fall term!

Discussion in 'Community' started by tpjunkie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Yesterday I found out that I got into the Japan term abroad at my school (I had been number 5 on the waitlist) for the upcoming fall term. I'll be in Osaka, at Kansai Gaidai University. This will be the second time I've been to Japan, I went on a rotary sponsored trip the summer before my senior year of high school, although we only spent a day in Osaka (most of the trip was spent at various homestays on Shikoku). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knows what kind of stuff there is to do in Osaka (all I got to do last time I was there was go to a mall and see osaka castle, because it was our first day in japan, and we were really jetlagged). Also, I'm trying to get an idea of how much money I'm gonna need for stuff like transportation (I have no clue what the subway costs), eating out, maybe the bar scene (Coming next fall: The Have you ever been drunk thread part II: Japan ;) )...anyway any info anyone's got would be appreciated.

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

If you travel far, it will get real expensive real fast. Best to buy a Hankyu/JR rail pass for the time you'll stay there, you just swipe your wallet on the thing when you enter the gate. Food is more expensive, but much higher quality, thats for sure. If you like that kind of stuff, if you can find a nice rotenburo (????) and stuff like that. Osaka night life is fun, lots of places to go, if you get to nanba there are some fun places like Festival Gate, and you definitely have to go to Spa World (right next to Festival Gate), its literally the world of spas in one giant 6F building with a wave pool and Green Tea swimming pools on the roof! They also have massages and other really relaxing stuff. Also you should stop by Nihonbasi/Glico Man etc... lots of stuff to see and do.

Have fun, and the best stuff is best done with lots of friends!

3. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Cool, thanks for the info!

C'mon, I know theres more of you out there with some knowledge to share!

4. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

There are great places in nearby Kyoto and Nara. I've been to a number of them. The giant Buddha at Todaiji is amazing!

5. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I've actually seen it! Its incredible! I was also convinced to squeeze through the small hole in one of the pillars of the temple that is supposed to bring good fortune to any who squeeze through it...looking back, im surprised I fit at all

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm jealous. Maybe I could be deported as an illegal alien, if I threw my driver's licence out the window.

Kansai is such a great area. There is always something to do or see.

7. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Thats what i've been hearing. I'm getting so excited! Too bad i have 4 months to wait...