Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They never allow this. I have known exactly zero people to successfully be allowed to change colors.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
so since it isnt impossible, any suggestions?

----------

Here is my plan:

I go there and tell them about my iPhone 5 issue. Then ask how much would it cost to just buy a white iPhone 5 if this cant be replaced ( I will pretend I dont know a thing about the Apple warranty).

Then the Genius who has been trained to provide the customers with the best service will then tell me... "Oh but sir, your iPhone 5 has warranty coverage for a year and I can easily replace your phone for free." So then I say... oh but what about a white iPhone 5? Can I just get my flawed black iPhone 5 swaped with a working, functional, sexy white iPhone 5? Then he says sure, and boom... white iPhone 5. 32GB ***

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I wish you luck with your plan. I tried to do this a couple of times without any luck. The problem is the black and white have two different model numbers. So swapping for a different model number is almost impossible.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Fixed what the rep would say

----------

Here is my plan:

I go there and tell them about my iPhone 5 issue. Then ask how much would it cost to just buy a white iPhone 5 if this cant be replaced ( I will pretend I dont know a thing about the Apple warranty).

Then the Genius who has been trained to provide the customers with the best service will then tell me... "Oh but sir, your iPhone 5 has warranty coverage for a year and I can easily replace your phone for free." So then I say... oh but what about a white iPhone 5? Can I just get my flawed black iPhone 5 swaped with a working, functional, sexy white iPhone 5? Then he says sure, and boom... white iPhone 5. 32GB ***

Then he says, "No, it can't be done. "

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

----------

Here is my plan:

Ok..imma bite on this nonsense.
Please explain what pretending not to know that ur phone is covered under warranty has to do with getting a white replacement? It's not happening, bro. Please make ur appointment, get rejected and move along. They will NEVER do it under any circumstances. It's a policy that's strictly enforced. Wearing a suit, pretending to be stupid, & making up scripted stories all doesn't make a bit of difference. They won't budge on the color issue. No matter what genius u get. Remember back in the day when a genius had the authority to swap out a broken screen phone? So if happened to get someone on a bad day you could just make another appt and hope u had better luck? Well this isn't like that at all. They have NO leeway on swapping colors. They are simply not allowed to do it. End of story.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How is this not wastelanded yet??

It's not going to happen. Your plan is silly and flawed. A genius is not stupid, they will be able to tell you are bluffing them. That is why you are more likely to receive a better outcome by being nice and honest.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
How is this not wastelanded yet??

It's not going to happen. Your plan is silly and flawed. A genius is not stupid, they will be able to tell you are bluffing them. That is why you are more likely to receive a better outcome by being nice and honest.
They arent being honest if they tell me it cant be done, since clearly it can

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
They arent being honest if they tell me it cant be done, since clearly it can

The fact that you think you are entitled to this swap is ridiculous. Why should the genius, then the retail store manager, then corporate have to deal with the fact that you changed your mind about the color. Then their entire inventory count is completely out of whack.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This thread went on long enough and OP still hasn't tried it? Are we getting trolled?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Going to go to Apple Store in NYC and complain about my power button issue. Then ask them to give me a white iPhone 5 instead.

I'll be in my suit and tie, looking proper and sophisticated.

Just post on Craigslist that you want to straight trade yours for a white one and see what happens. Meet at the (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) store and have them do the sim card swap for you....bada boom bada bing....

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Just post on Craigslist that you want to straight trade yours for a white one and see what happens. Meet at the (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) store and have them do the sim card swap for you....bada boom bada bing....

through Apple I get a "new" one tho

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Then get your faulty phone replaced and sell it. Then you can go buy a white one off contract.

Its not an even exchange. I'd be out money.

Im sure once Mods sweep this thread through a few posters will be banned for spam

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
through Apple I get a "new" one tho
Through the years Apple has said they will not swap colors for the iphone. The product numbers are different. So when they do their accounting and returning the numbers won't match. So the figures will not line up. They have always said they will only do like kinds....you cannot take a defective IP5 16Gb and get a 32Gb IP5 for it....same for the different colors. So CL seems like a great fit. If the phone is defective get it replaced. Then go on CL and seek out a trade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.