I'm have to buy a Gateway tablet for school!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingcrowing, Mar 9, 2006.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

So, I just found out that for my major (Bachelors of business administration @ University of Vermont) I need to get a Gateway M280E Tablet PC, the tablet part is suposidly used extensivly throughout all the business classes (which start first simester) which is pretty cool, but I was really hoping to get a macbook pro, or at least a windows vista/dual core laptop... oh well, this should be cool. does anyone know anythign about these?

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If you are intersted in Table PC, you can check out Table PC Buzz. You can google it with that name.

As far as the Gateway model you are going to buy, I think that is a very heavy unit (over 6 lbs).

I also heard Gateway uses digitizer unit from other than Wacom (I think it sounded like Fine-something). Wacom digitizer has the pressure sensitivity. If it is not Wacom, it does not have that feature.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Seems strange a school would require such a particular machine.

Hope you enjoy it though.

4. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Not really, I've known quite a few universities that say if you're majoring in _______ you're required to have a ________ laptop. I can't figure out if this is to simplify their IT support infrastructure, or because they've arranged some deal with whatever manufacturer to get insane discounts on that particular model due to the bulk.

5. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

well I think that gateway might have some particular software/ touch interface stuff that is different from other companies, I'm not 100% sure, but I do know they have some partnership

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's what led my law school to strip support down to two Dell laptop models. They get pretty hefty discounts if the students buy through them, and they reduce their IT load. The only time that they support outside of those two models is our exam software - and even then they have ceased Apple support. They will extract your answers if the software crashes - but that's it.