I'm having a few problems...can anyone relate? (everything is gone!!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikelong622, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm having a few problems with my fairly new MBP. I just wanna see if anyone is having the same issues or if anyone knows how to solve any of them.

First off the lid of my computer seems to be bending...like concaving (or is it convexing) away from the keyboard area when the computer is shut. There are also bulges all over the casing. I haven't dropped or abused my precious computer in any way!!

Secondly, my computer refuses to go to sleep anymore. I shut the lid and it just keeps running and running and running. I've tried everything from deleting all third party apps to changing every setting available to even reinstalling Mac OSX...which brings me to my next issue:

After reinstalling, the ability to have a two-finger right click on the trackpad has gone away. I've had to reinstall OSX before, but that option has never disappeared like this before. It just isn't on the system preferences anymore.

I think that is it. I've already had to bring my MBP into apple twice for bad fans and a bad logic board. Maybe I just have a lemon....

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've had all the same problems with my MB, go to the apple store if you're close, you don't want to suffer, most likely they'll fix it in 20 minutes like they did my macbook.

3. mikelong622 thread starter macrumors 6502

OH MY GOD!!! Please help me, everything is gone!!

I posted a thread yesterday about how poorly my computer was working and how I've had to take it in 4 times and reinstall OSX a few as well. Well yesterday I reinstalled OSX and it worked fine, all my documents, school work, music, and pictures were still there. But today, when I went to open iTunes, all my music was gone, so I went to go add it all over again. My computer froze when I tried to do that, so I relaunched the Finder (everything else was still working, so I guess just Finder had frozen.). Anyways, after it relaunched, everything disappeared. My school work is gone, my music is gone, my pictures are gone, my user data is gone, all my gamesaves are gone. Yet, all my applications are still here. But when I try to start them, it's as if it was the first time I ever opened them. I don't know what to do. I spent 2 grand on this piece o' crap and it's given me nothing but problems since the day I brought it home. Is there a certain amount of times you can bring it in to Apple before they just give you a new one???

Oh...and the strangest part about this whole thing is that I still have to same amount of disk space available on my hard drive as I did BEFORE all my files were lost...which makes me think they may be in here somewhere. I have tried my best to find them but it has not worked.

Any help, any input, even sympathy or people who have had related problems would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be going into the Apple Store at 12:30 today to tear them all a new ass hole.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First, is there any possibility that you created a new account when you did the last install? The behavior strongly suggests you're in a different account, and the fact that your disk space is as it is suggests your files are still there. If you open a Finder winder, click on the HD icon on the upper left of the sidebar, and click the Users folder that shows up, what do you see?

5. bluewire macrumors member

Sounds like you have multiple accounts. How many users are on the computer?

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I agree with jsw, you might just have made another account. It might help if you list the other issues you've had with the computer and why you've had to reinstall OS X. I have one question do you use file vault? The only time I had the same symptoms as you describe was when file valut got interrupted during the shut down and corrupted my user folder.

7. mikelong622 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I found it...but now how to I get everything back to normal. I found all my lost files under users/(my new user name). I think I know what happened. I clicked on rename on the house icon in the left of finder and renamed it to "Mike's Mac" and now all the files are in a folder under "Mike's Mac" under users. So if I want to get all my save data, and all my application support back onto one user...what do I do? Should I just drag that folder onto the hard drive of my current user?

Thank you SOOO much for any help...I was sitting in class just staring at my computer totally freaking out.

Maybe I'll just take a sick day from work and burn all my newly found files onto a DVD and just erase OSX completely and reinstall everything. It'll be fun, who doesn't love a fresh start?

8. bluewire macrumors member

You need to switch/log out of the new user handle and log into the old user handle. then go into the control panel and delete the new user account and thats it.

9. mikelong622 thread starter macrumors 6502

There's no new user account at the login page...there's just a new folder under "users".

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Just curious, did you go to the Apple store and tear them all a new one?

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Apple really should make it more difficult to rename user folders. Don't ever rename your home folder, lest you end up in this situation. The easiest solution I can think of - and I'm not really even sure it'll work - is to create another admin account, log into that, then go to the Users folder and rename the home folder you're currently in to something, then rename the original user folder to what it used to be. That should work, but I'd back everything up just in case.

I'm surprised you've had to install OS X so many times. Perhaps it wasn't needed all of those times, or maybe you really do have a hardware problem. If you do a lot of things like renaming your home folder, that could account for it. And I'm not being sarcastic - there was no reason for you to know this'd happen - but it's almost always a bad idea to rename or move anything that was there when you first log into an account (folder names, apps, etc.).

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Check out this thread for instructions on how to get back a renamed home folder. The situation sounds eerily similar to yours.