I'm having battery issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hoochrulez55, Dec 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all. I have a macbook white unibody from mid 2010. Ive had the computer for just over 2.5 years and the battery is starting to diminish. Its at 80% capacity and 281 cycles.I am going to be keeping the computer for years to come and would like to know if i should replace it now. battery status is at: Normal at the moment.

2. macrumors 601

McGiord

Calibrate it first. Then start looking for a replacement.

3. simsaladimbamba

Did you exercise the battery every now and then by discharging it completely?

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are consumable items, so it's expected they will deplete after a while. If you have AppleCare coverage and your battery health declines below 80% before 1000 cycles, Apple may replace it free if they determine it's defective. Otherwise, replace it at your own expense when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. Im replacing it on my own via ifixit because its out of warranty. Im ordering what i need soon. And yes i calibrate it monthly. I cNt believe apple doesnt cover items like this!

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my last post. You do not need to calibrate your battery. Batteries are only covered in case of defects, as they are consumable items.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

its about time for a replacement regardless.

i have a memory question. if i buy two of these chips, will it fit my macbook? im trying to double the stock 2X1GB, to 2X2GB.

http://www.memorydepot.com/SOD1066NS3C72GBN.htm

my macbooks specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it should work. You can install up to 8GB on your model. Crucial is also a good choice for RAM.