I'm holding Apple Ransom for 79p!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wowser, Sep 12, 2005.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Here's the deal:

I bought a song on the UK iTMS (Madonna's 'Oh Father', if you must)

Next, I lost my debit card, so rang the bank to cancel it

Just logged on to the music store. There is a problem with my account. They are trying to charge the Madonna song to the cancelled card, and can't.

So then, what can they do? I'm moving home next week, and will be offline for months, without access to the store. What will they do about the 79p?

2. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

They'll probably cancel the purchase of the song and put a little tick on your account saying "Bad buyer!"

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

5. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

LOL! Was that 'bad buyer' thing for real?

They could always reposess a banana

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

have u experienced it urself?

7. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I had something similar, if not quite as severe, happen with one-use online credit card numbers; Apple uses a different store name when charging from the iTMS and the computer Apple Store, so even though you can manage the numbers from the same interface, these one-shot numbers only work with whichever store gets to it first.

If you have an outstanding balance on your iTMS account, they won't let you buy anything else until you pay it off. I doubt they'd do much past that for 79p, but keep in mind that thanks to the marvel of evil that is modern copy protection, they effectively "own" your music, so they can in all likelihood just "turn off" all your iTMS music if you go too long without paying some day down the road. At the very least, you wouldn't be able to authorize a new computer to play it when your current one breaks.

If you want to go that route, you'd better burn CDs and re-rip to get that DRM off!

(They can also probably file a report with your credit card company, and though it wouldn't go to a collection agency for 79p, I do wonder if it might not affect your credit rating a bit.)

9. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Ouch! Well, I'm happy to report that my new debit card arrived, and I've given in to Apple. The thought of not being able to use the iTMS was not a plesant one.