I'm hoping for the best

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cooknn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Since I bought my first Mac - a G5 Dual 2Ghz over a year ago - I've saved 4 people from the dark side including my bosses grand daughter, my son, his grandma (don't ask) and most recently my ex-boss (who still intimidates the hell out of me). She just ordered a 17" PowerBook loaded to the hilt and expects nothing but perfection based on what I've been telling her. She will be expecting it to connect seamlessly to a Linksys 802.11b DSL internet connection at her new office as well as accessing network drive's on a couple Windows PC's.

Is it necessary to use SMB to share files between PC's and Mac's?

I've been using Samba on the UNIX box at my office for several years, so hopefully I can do this. BTW - she pays me to keep a smile on her face - regarding her network anyways...

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not have any real issues except my router didn't see my mac address as a valid address. That was solved quickly though. But just in case that doesn't work, try Monster.com

4. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Heh. She's my "ex" boss. No worries there :rolleyes:

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you are safe. After all its a Mac that they have purchased. Is your ex-boss still hiring you for your IT knowledge though?

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. I've switched a few people and they expect absolute flawless performance. I try to explain to them that a Mac is still a computer and things will invariably go wrong, but everytime the tiniest thing goes wrong, they freak out. They have learned to live with the crapiness of that other OS, but not from the Mac.

I guess sometimes the greater evil you know is easier to accept than the lesser evil you dont know...? :eek:

7. craigdawg macrumors 6502

The only thing that goofed me up is that ZoneAlarm (on the PC) viewed the Mac's attempt to connect to a Windows share as an intrusion attempt. (I had turned off the ZA alerts so I had no idea what was happening). I had to configure ZA to trust the IP address of the Mac and that was that.

8. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yeah, even though I try to discourage it - she continues to call me when she needs help with anything PC (and now Mac) related. Which is okay I guess. At least she pays me. Many moons ago she was the one who plucked me out of a bunch of applicants for an MIS Director position. Changed the path of my life for sure. I guess I owe her one ;)