Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enclave

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I recently installed OS X.2.8 on my girlfriends grandfathers imac g3 .

I installed over OS 9.0.4 and everything worked well, that was until he booted back into os 9 to do something and now there is no option in the startup disk manger to boot to os X!

I think I need to install the 9.1 update for os 9 so it recognizes the os x files and can boot from them but the damn 9.1 update wont install, it just gets an error and requires a restart. I feel really bad because now he is back to square one. can anyone help?. I've exausted google and the apple website but still no results.

Any help wpould be greatly appreciated.

is there an update I can downlaod just for the disk startup manager?

enclave

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...have you tried just holding the X key at start up - that should force a boot into OS X....oh yeah!

Thanks Duffman, I'll try it tonight with him, it's an old g3 though will the firmware recognize that key command?

If it doesn't work do you have any other idea's...

god I can't stand os 9. I only learnt to use os x and I'm just totally lost...

Thnaks for your prompt response!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Don't feel like rebooting right now, but I believe if you hold down the Option key on startup you can choose the OS you want to boot.

Worst case, boot up with the OS X install CD in the drive, hold down C when rebooting to boot from the CD, then change startup to OS X drive in preferences.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
emw said:
Don't feel like rebooting right now, but I believe if you hold down the Option key on startup you can choose the OS you want to boot.

Worst case, boot up with the OS X install CD in the drive, hold down C when rebooting to boot from the CD, then change startup to OS X drive in preferences.
Duff-Man says...the option key thing only works if the operating systems are on different partitions...but booting from the CD is also a good suggestion to get back into OS X.....oh yeah!

enclave

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the option key thing only works if the operating systems are on different partitions...but booting from the CD is also a good suggestion to get back into OS X.....oh yeah!

It's difficult as I am helping him over the phone so I may have to drop in tomorrow and see what I can do.

Thanks guys I'll try what you have said. I hope it works!

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
I did exactly this same thing to my brother's computer, and after a week or so, I got it to boot up by moving enough OS 9 system files until it didn't recognize that OS 9 was installed -- it showed the flashing question mark for a second, then booted into X.

Now intentionally destroying your OS isn't the most elegant solution...

...but it worked ;)

enclave

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
coolsoldier said:
I did exactly this same thing to my brother's computer, and after a week or so, I got it to boot up by moving enough OS 9 system files until it didn't recognize that OS 9 was installed -- it showed the flashing question mark for a second, then booted into X.

Now intentionally destroying your OS isn't the most elegant solution...

...but it worked ;)

LOL... well hey as long as it worked ;)

I think he wants to keep going into os 9 occasionally to use his scanner....

I have to check for drivers for os x for it actually. Thanks though.

Any idea on what folder you removed?

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
What you need is the Startup Disk Control Panel that Apple released after OS 10 showed up on the scene. More general info here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106225

To go straight to the software go here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120024

To install, just drop the Control Panel into the Control Panels folder in the System Folder. Updating to 9.2.2 will include this software. Any reason staying with 9.0.4? As I recall, MacOS 9 improved with age in terms of stability, etc. I haven't used 9.x much since 10.1 came out, though.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
enclave said:
LOL... well hey as long as it worked ;)

I think he wants to keep going into os 9 occasionally to use his scanner....

I have to check for drivers for os x for it actually. Thanks though.

Which scanner? What kind of interface? The reason I ask is that I have an old scanner that was never supported my UMAX in OS 10 (bastards.) VueScan supports my scanner, though. The only thing it doesn't support is parallel connections with USB converters on them. I have the old UMAX MX3, which is basically an Astra 2200 with SCSI and USB connections on the back. The USB connection is not supported by VueScan for my scanner because at its heart it is a parallel connection. There were several of these made by UMAX. My scanner is supported by VueScan using the SCSI connection. I just dropped a inexpensive SCSI2/PCI card in my G4 tower.

enclave

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
osprey76 said:
What you need is the Startup Disk Control Panel that Apple released after OS 10 showed up on the scene. More general info here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106225

To go straight to the software go here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120024

To install, just drop the Control Panel into the Control Panels folder in the System Folder. Updating to 9.2.2 will include this software. Any reason staying with 9.0.4? As I recall, MacOS 9 improved with age in terms of stability, etc. I haven't used 9.x much since 10.1 came out, though.

My god this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thankyou!!!!!

I'll try it tonight

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
enclave said:
My god this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thankyou!!!!!

I'll try it tonight

I'm glad I came across your post. I remember getting that control panel just before installing 10.1 a little over 3 years ago now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.