I'm interested in developing apps for iPhone..

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by amazingdm, Jul 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

with ad based revenue viable for free apps, I am down to try as hard as I can.

Where do I start?

2. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The first step would be learning the Objective-C Language. This book teaches the Objective-C language and a little bit of iPhone development. Its also arguably the best Obj-C book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

(If you're too cheap to buy a book http://cocoadevcentral.com/)

But the real question to ask is where do I want to go? Do I want to make games? Do I want to make utility apps?

EG: I want to make games for a living. I also need funds during University, so I thought I might try making iPhone games. So I directed my non-University learning towards that and got this book to start me off http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664536&sr=1-1

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to make EVERYthing. I want to make tons and tons of apps.
    But thank you... you gave me a start. If I learn, master, objective-C will this be like a second nature for me?

4. macrumors 68040

Please don't.

5. macrumors 65816

BklynKid

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" book I linked assumes no programming Knowledge.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.
    Should I wait for the 3rd edition?

9. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Well, look at it this way, the third edition will have more "errata" fixed, minor updates to reflect new changes that Apple have made etc.

Lets just put it this way, you can but it doesn't matter that much.

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

And what is your goal in developing tons and tons of apps?

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Make money

12. macrumors 68040

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

Either or..

14. macrumors regular

It's going to be a few months before the third edition is out. The new edition will include updates throughout, as well as:

1. minor updates due to changes in XCode
    2. removal of some deprecated methods
    3. feedback from my forum, including some additional explanations and diagrams

There will be some new material as well (such as an introduction to blocks).

If you need to learn Objective-C now, I wouldn't suggested waiting.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

15. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I might buy it just for my offline reference just for these. I find it faster looking up the appendix at the back for basic things than Apple's reference.

Would you consider putting a cheat sheet in your new book? Just a little nicety.

---

I still haven't bothered to learn C :eek:

16. macrumors 6502a

Haha...good luck, here's some bed time reading:
    Long Tail

17. macrumors regular

I was thinking of something like that. You use the appendix (the language summary)? :eek: I was thinking of removing it (I didn't think it got much use).

Haha!

By the way, that appendix is online at my website (classroomm.com).

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

18. macrumors 603

Cromulent

The language reference is the best bit of a programming book. Its highly frustrating to have to read through a section of text just to find out one little thing.

Probably why I love the O'reilly pocket guides so much.

19. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I use it for the little things like PreProc Macros and Obj-C Directives.

Which is why a cheat sheet would be good for me. One side with often used Obj-C/C, pre-processor Syntax, the other side with the often used methods you like to dump randomly in chapters.

---

Was the "Haha!" a disappointed haha?

20. macrumors 603

I'm interested in performing brain surgery

Is there an easy way, faster than many years of medical school? I hear surgeons make lots of money, so I am down to try as hard as I can. Can I practice on you?

Where do I start?

At least, that's how all these requests appear to me...

:mad:

21. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I hear what you're sayin'. The other one that I hear a lot is: "I am trying to solve world peace. I am new to international politics. Can you give me a solution?"

22. macrumors regular

Hmm, I have always included language summaries as a reference in my C, shell, and Objective-C books. Funny things is that I never get any sort of comments or acknowledgements about them, so I've come to assume they're not used or viewed as important by the users (they're typically not an insignificant amount of work to create---for example, there is not other Objective-C language summary that I'm aware of).

Many years ago I had done 8-1/2 x 11" plastic cheat sheets for Shell and C programming.

Let me ask your opinions: Would having it online (as it exists now) or even as a (free) iPhone app or ePub doc work as a quick reference or would you still like to see it physically in the back of the book?

Cheers,

Steve

23. macrumors member

An iPhone app would be great. Would also be a great way to tell people about the book. You can include it in the description of the app.

Having a language reference or cheat-sheet at the back of the book would be nice too. I feel like it would somehow maintain the integrity of a physical book.
    (something about the convergence of digital online content and physical books; what makes a physical book special; strengths and weaknesses of both forms)

The months ahead will bring a tornado of change to books as we know it. We have iBooks, Google Editions, Color E-Ink, more advanced e-readers, and they're starting to play videos and stuff. So I think that's something to keep an eye out for.

24. macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Exactly. An iPhone app crammed with all that information would be amazing.

25. macrumors 6502

Yay, a ton more useless trash apps coming soon! :rolleyes: