Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hey!

I was just reading a thread and somebody mentioned that it is a pain in the butt to upgrade to Snow Leopard just so they can download Lion.

Well, Lion is very cheap, $29, so I am just thinking - let's say you have Leopard. To get the Mac App Store (the only way of buying Lion) you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Upgrading to Snow Leopard costs money. I think that is why Apple is able to make Lion so cheap, because a lot of people will have to upgrade to Snow Leopard so that they can download Lion.

Am I missing something here, or could this actually be it?
(I wouldn't be surprised if they released a DVD copy, though)

cltitus

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
they will always release it on dvd because there are people out there that will want a hardcopy on a dvd and that is the only way they will be the os upgrade.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When Lion comes out, Snow Leopard will be discontinued. What happens to Leopard users then? They won't be able to buy SL anymore.

they will always release it on dvd because there are people out there that will want a hardcopy on a dvd and that is the only way they will be the os upgrade.

Watch the keynote, it's pretty clear that there will not be a DVD version. Schiller displays the old OS X DVDs and then makes them go poof!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
When Lion comes out, Snow Leopard will be discontinued. What happens to Leopard users then? They won't be able to buy SL anymore.

Watch the keynote, it's pretty clear that there will not be a DVD version. Schiller displays the old OS X DVDs and then makes them go poof!

If there is no DVD then what media will the OS come on for a new machine?
Just what that is in store to those who didn't upgrade to SL.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If there is no DVD then what media will the OS come on for a new machine?
Just what that is in store to those who didn't upgrade to SL.

All Apple told us is that there is no upgrade DVD. The media included with computers will stay, I would imagine. Or move to all-USB drives.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I'd guess Apple's smart enough to realize that you need Snow Leopard to upgrade - and if they aren't going to offer Lion on DVD, that they would carry Snow Leopard in-store and online for at least several months beyond Lion's introduction, and seriously urge pre-SL users to either upgrade their disc, or buy a new machine (I would guess new machines would still come with a Lion DVD - otherwise how would you be able to reinstall if necessary?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.