I'm looking for some Good Techno!

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Macmaniac, Oct 27, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I make movies a lot and techno music is great for motanges, can you reccomend any good insturmental techno songs?

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Techno has so much range, and it can affect the mood dramatically - what exactly are you looking for? Happy, dark, industrial, house?

One song I'm currently liking for a animation is Evil Moogafooga by Spacefunk ;)

D

3. macrumors member

Two great artists

Two of my favourites you might like to check out are Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Unfortunately none of their music has been added to the iTMS yet. :( I'm sending requests though!

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd love to see Paul Van Dyk added to iTunes as well....there seems to be a big lack of techno on iTunes....:(

I listen to XMRadio, even at work now, so that makes it easier to here new stuff as well. They have 3 stations set aside to techno.

D

5. macrumors member

There are some really good ones on the iTunes radio stations as well. It's so amazing to finally have iTunes at work! (I have to use a PC.) Hopefully the music store will start adding more to their electronic library! I'll be buying like crazy when it does... wait, I already buy like crazy.. I'll be buying crazi-er! :cool:

6. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm waiting for more Paul Oakenfold & maybe even Hybrid to appear. There's BT there, but only his newest release.

I think they have a way to go before being up to speed with the techno train.

7. macrumors 6502a

techno

i've been looking for some good electronic music to put together an iPod workout playlist for biking. something with a good beat, interesting, but not offensive. I almost got the chemical brothers best of release, but didn't know if I'd like it enough. Unfortunately they don't show up on iTMS.

8. macrumors regular

Re: techno

Well no offense, but most great electronica comes from Europe, and as long as the ITMS is US only, we won't see the great stuff until it gets worldwide i guess. LFO has two albums with excellent instrumental techno tunes; "advance" and the brand new "sheath". None are on ITMS, however :mad:

9. Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Re: I'm looking for some Good Techno!

Do you really mean techno or rather electronic music in general? At least here (UK), techno is a fairly specific type of electronic music, is almost entirely instrumental and with quite hard beats. Good example of 'real' techno would be the music in this mix -

http://www.slamevents.com/audio/oct03/slam-pressure9-03p1.mp3 (91MB, you'd get the idea from the first 10 minutes)

I browsed through iTunes looking for some of the electronic music that i liked (Hybrid, Oakenfold, Chicane, Tiesto etc) to add to dailytunes and found very little unfortunately. Hopefully it'll be much better when the European version comes along, although whether the songs on the European version will be added to the US one is another matter, I suspect not.

10. macrumors regular

Good Musical Trance/Techno

DJ Tiesto - Urban Train / Suburban Train (and many others)
    Rob Dougan (movie scores/Matrix)
    Chicane
    Moby
    PPK
    X-Press 2
    Armin Van Buuren
    naoki
    drunkenmunky
    darude
    iio
    Laut Sprecher
    etc.....

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors regular

Hmmm

Not sure if this would fit under "techno" or the broader "electronica", but Boards of Canada makes some great music, in my opinion. In fact they're almost all I listen to on the electronica side of things.

13. macrumors regular

Boards of Canada is pretty okay. For montages, I like to use works done by The Cynic Project. You can find him at mp3.com do a search.

14. macrumors newbie

Fraustrated!

Can anyone help me figure out a song's name I have. I use 2 know the name long time ago but i cannot remember for the LIFE of me. I have the song on an MP3 file but would like 2 Download it again from a better source, If anyone can e-mail me at: Al3jandr0@gmail.com so I can send the file and listen 2 it and try 2 figure out who sang it and the name of the song, I'd greatly appreciate it! Please help me out, I don't know how 2 go about getting this info. Thanks! :confused:

15. macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you like the BBC Radio One Essential Mixes, I have all of them, and could sort you out with some copies. With the exception of about 4 mixes, I have every single weekly mix ever broadcast since the show's inception in 1993. :eek: :cool:

16. macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The Reactivate (React label) compilations are great. Also the Nude Dimensions comps for something a bit less frenetic, or Ministry Of Sound for the poppier stuff, or the Cafe Del Mar series to send you to sleep...

17. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Here is half of my Dance/Techno collection, you might find some of these interesting.

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 65816

frankblundt

crazy frog!!! you're kidding, right? please tell me you are :confused:

19. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

My sister insists I keep that on there so she can sync it too her iPod Shuffle :(

20. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Paul Oakenfold
    Sasha & Digweed
    Chemical Brothers
    Aphex Twin
    Carl Cox
    The Future Sound Of London
    Fischerspooner

21. macrumors 65816

monke

Voodoo & Serano
    The Crystal Method
    Eiffel 65 (Europop Album, I occaisonly listen to it but not too often)

Search in iTunes for Techno/Electric related iMix's. There are loads of them, but only some are good.

22. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent choices! You'd probably really enjoy the BBC Essential Mixes I have of all of the above... :D :cool:

23. macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

They're on iTunes. Aphex Twin and Squarepusher :)

24. macrumors 6502

Foucault

25. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'm sure I would. What all is on them?
    I've been fortunate enough to see some of these acts live:
    Oakenfold (2X), Chemical Brothers, Sasha & Digweed, & Carl Cox. The later two were okay, but Oakenfold and the Chem Bros were great. The first time I saw Oakenfold (Club Karma Chicago November '99) was incredible. I never listened to techno (except when I was at clubs) until that show. He is 100X better live than on his albums.