I'm looking to buy a 24"lcd for design and animation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by visualanté, Jan 3, 2007.

1. visualanté macrumors member

I know apple may be updateing their cinema display but if they don't I'm looking at 2 possibilities. BenQ and believe it or not Gateway...any thoughts...i wanna stay under 1000

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Between the two Id go with the BenQ however, im not sure if this is an option, If you have a mac with dual outpusts (PowerMac, Mac Pro) you could get dual 20" for that price. Personally I find dual VERY nice in graphic design and very light animation. It allows me to multitask much easier and provides much more screen size for way cheaper. You can get roughly two 20" for the same price. I have this though it isnt the grateast i have no complaints and it dies its job well. (However the "Sceptre" in the center does glow and that can be slighlt distracting) Just a thought, im not sure if that is an option.

3. Zeke macrumors 6502

4. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I was considering the BenQ 24"er as well for my new mac pro. It would be nice to have the ability to display full HD (and it has support for HDCP). Will be interesting to see what the new cinema displays look like.

cheers.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I'm surprised that no one here has suggested the Dell 2407 WFP. That's an awesome monitor, and for $674, it's practically a steal.

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

7. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

IIRC, the Dell 2407 is a 6-bit panel while the BenQ is an 8-bit panel. It's only $799 at new egg.

cheers.

8. keeneye macrumors newbie

acer I know I know

I bought two 22" acer AL2216W's for $279 from small dog I believe and they have performed flawlessly using PS and FCP

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but 24" feels tiny now. Even with 4 virtual desktops I can hardly get all my windows on there.

My ideal setup is 1x 30" in the middle with 2x 24" flanking.

P.S. The Dell 2405 was 8-bit, but was dropped in the 2407 to 6-bit panels with better response times for the damn gamers. I like the look of the 2405's better anyway.

10. zane macrumors 6502

well whatever you do dont buy before macworld

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Good point. For all we know, Apple may realease the 24" with iSight for $749. Just to be safe wait 3 days or whatever it is just to make sure you don't miss out out on something big.

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I do believe the panel in the 2407 is 8 bit from this very long thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=252327&highlight=misconceptions

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't believe it's a bit issue. It's in the rendering of the signal, be it display adapter, panel electronics or driver issues (with Windows). I ran the tests after my curiosity was piqued by the monitor thread and I also found that I got banding on one of my monitors but not the others. Dell have said they'll swap out the monitor at my convenience, I just haven't bothered yet. It doesn't actually bother me in the least in normal use, just like the far more excessive banding on the Macbook 'Pro' doesn't bother me either (the crap colours do though) but I hate leaving problems unresolved.

One thing that Dells offer and some don't is that 3-year warranty.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Buy the Dell or wait till after Macworld.

Very happy with my big 24" Dell.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I almost bought a 24" dell. My friend has the 20" and it is very nice, so I'm guessing the 24 would be even better.

16. visualanté thread starter macrumors member

i know dell is a good value but i read gateway and benq run video better plus i want good color

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin