I'm looking to buy a new scanner... what do I look for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GregUofMN, Jan 29, 2004.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm looking to buy a new scanner for my new 15" AlBook. My old scanner that I used with my old PC would need an adapter to hook up to my new mac laptop. And even then, I don't know if the 7year old scanner is even mac-compatible.

But, I don't know a whole hellava lot about scanners. I do know that I should look for one with...

-a high resolution
    -high color depth

But is there anything else??? Which models do you all recommend? By the way, I am NOT interested in one of those all in one models (ie, scan, copy, fax, print )

2. GregUofMN thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2003
    PS: I'm an architecture student so I want something with a large surface bed area for scanning.
  3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
  4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Like you, I needed a legal sized scanner too. At that time HP was my only option. I got the HP Scanjet 7400C. Incredibly good scans in both B&W and color. Very fast, but a little on the noisy side when doing high resolution scans. Because of it's speed, the noise doesn't bother me too much.

I don't have the automatic document feeder, but some people have reported a lot of jams with them.

Although it comes with an attachment for scanning transparencies, you are always better off with a purpose built one due to the high magnification of the original. Something like a Nikon Coolscan because it comes with incredibly sophisticated software to eliminate dust, fingerprints and most other surface defects.

Microtek also offers legal sized scanners now, but I don't know anything about their quality. Almost all hardware today is both PC and Mac compatible, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!