I'm making the switch...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Axeon, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Axeon macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    ...and I need a few suggestions on alternative (free) products.

Putty (an SSH/Telnet client)
    Multi-language dictionary

Also, I have 11GBs of music on my PC and no DVD burner (but I do have an iPod, if that helps). What's the easiest way to move this music?
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Putty: Use Terminal, built into OS X!
    SmartFTP: Use Transmit ( http://panic.com/transmit ). It rules! Not free, but cheap, and well worth it.

One way you could copy your music files is to put the iPod in disk mode and copy them over via drag'n'drop... then drag'n'drop em into your new Mac.

Lee Tom
  3. Axeon thread starter macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    Ah yes, the harddrive option. Excellent idea.

Also, from what I've heard, Snak is a pretty good IRC client alternative.
  4. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    I use an IRC client called Conversation. I have yet to find a single good irc client written in cocoa or carbon... rather ridiculous if you ask me. i use either conversation or i use the console epic5 with third eye..
  5. Axeon thread starter macrumors member

Oct 12, 2004
    How would a program like Conversation handle multiple IRC channels of 2500 people+ . I've noticed several Windows clients that produce fancier output than mIRC just explode.

(IRC is a central part of the site I run, and am connected 24/7 to two IRC networks, 10 channels, and 2 bot DCC-chats)
  6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I'm not up on IRC, but if there is a good client for Linux that uses x-windows, you could most likely get it to run using x11 for OS X (which is free, and on the OS X discs).

Lee Tom
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Snak is probably the best IRC client. I've tried some others including X-Chat Aqua, which is free and beta.

I use CuteFTP when I need to move a few things quickly, but I still use the Terminal application and the FTP command when I can script things.

As for the music, copy it from the iPod into your user area but not under music. Start iTunes and have it copy (under Advanced) instead of move. It's especially important if you have it search for music the first startup.

Attached Files:

8. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Easiest way to transfer your music is to use your iPod. Plug your pod into your new Mac and then use PodWorks to download all the songs from your Pod to iTunes. It's shareware but worth every penny in my opinion and keeps all the data, like album covers etc, in tact too.
  9. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    fireFTP with Firefox?

Im not sure if this will work for you as im currently using a PC :eek:

Anyway. with the Firefox browser I downloaded an extension called FireFTP. It appears to be compatible with OS X although as for reasons i've already stated I can't check.

The excellent Firefox browser now has a brand new tool to go with it! Introducing 'fireFTP', a cross-platform FTP client which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers. And unlike many other FTP clients, it's completely free! This latest version features support for: more FTP servers, OS X, ASCII files, symbolic links, launching files from fireFTP, and loading fireFTP in a tab.
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Conversation 2.0 is the only IRC client for Mac OS X I've tried that supports DCC chats (try it with Colloquy and you'll download a file called CHAT which never finishes and gives a ridiculously huge file size).