I'm nervous (Apple Store Interview)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daedalus256, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Ok so,

A couple of weeks ago, I was still looking for a job. Sears seemed to be (and still is) a good possibility. Soon after I scheduled an interview at Sears, I received a call from the freaking Apple Store here! I was a bit surprised to say the least. I was asked to attend the hiring event they had about a week ago.

So at this hiring event, instead of being like a typical job interview thing, we did a really interesting little commercial making thing where we were given like an hour or so to create a commercial using cameras, etc and the iLife stuff. Neat, huh? I'm sure some of you have visited apple stores and done this so you just shush :p

So our time passes and we all have to turn in our work. Everyone's commercial seems to be far superior to ours, which makes me a bit worried. Once the commercials are shown, we're told that if they like us, we'll get a call.

A couple days pass and my friends and I are in the mall when I receive a call from a number I'm not familiar with. Then I recognize it slightly and freeze. I missed the call by seconds and completely freak out in joy in the middle of the mall. I had a second interview!

So it's coming up soon and I'm really excited but also a little nervous. Getting this job would make me quite happy and for the first time, I'd enjoy my job! I know a few people at that store and they're all really nice guys.

So I'm also a bit worried because this whole process may have shut me down for other job opportunities. If I don't get this job, I really hope I do, heh, I don't know if I have any of the jobs I had offers for anymore. My entire financial well-being is kind of based on apple right now, heh.

But meh! I really wanted to work here from the beginning! I have confidence, but I'm also being humble and down to earth about this. Does anyone have any good tips for interviews such as this? Let me know of your experiences!

2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

If you do get the job, you do know you'll not be able to logon to any Mac Rumor or Apple "Fanboy" site right? That's Apple policy.

3. Daedalus256 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? I don't believe you! :D

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

5. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do a search and you'll find out that your time here will come to an end if you get the job. However, I would never let this place get in the way of employment.

Also, is the whole movie making thing standard?

7. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

The Apple Store called my house and my mom told them I was at college and I wasn't interested.

I proceeded to soil myself.

Daniel.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Go punch her. Right now.

9. iShane macrumors 6502a

HAHAHA!

Anyways. All I can say to the poster of this thread is "LUCKY!"

10. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Who would stop doing such things for a petty, little low paying job at an Apple store? That seems ridiculous...

11. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Awww.... sad.
    But if you get the job... awesome!!! :D

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Damn that sucks. What a waste of an employment opportunity.

But then again, I like MR too much to give it up just for retail (even if it is an Apple Store).

13. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ah. So that is why even all the Apple Genius Bar Geniuses don't have the slightest clue about what's been rumored to come from Apple. Explains a lot, really.

[​IMG]

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

You can't logon, but can you still browse?

15. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Interview Tips

Everything you'll want to know can probably be found on this page:

http://interview.monster.com/

Read it twice if necessary and good luck.

-Squire

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Believe him. And they DO watch. Probably reading this thread right now. If I were you I'd delete all the info that identifies you here, and NEVER come here again. Just move along, and enjoy your new journey. Bon Voyage! (Now get lost)

17. WaveSurfer macrumors newbie

Some words of advice coming form someone who has 2 years Apple Retail experience.

Don't come off as a Mac geek. That's not what they're looking for. They want someone with a unique personality who finds the products COOL and wants to tell everyone about it from the mom who has no idea what an iPod is to the Mac enthusiast who comes in to quiz you on what you know (like so many here at MR). So just relax, be yourself, and don't come off as a complete geek (not that you do, but it's a mistake so many make).

If this is your only job, you may want to check to see if they are hiring for seasonal, part time or full time. If you're seasonal, you won't be working for Apple come August, since they hire for the Back to School season on a "temp" basis. The pay is ok, but not the best, it's more for love of the company and the discount. Have fun and enjoy it...and yes, say goodbye to posting at MR, unless you keep under the radar and adopt a new identity...

18. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

It always makes my day when I stump a Mac employee. I feel like when you stump one, you should get their job. That would make for the best Apple employees. All the time.
    -Apple guy: "24 tracks?"
    -Me: "No, 48. Have your locker cleaned out by the end of the week."

Anyways, that almost makes me feel as good as it does when an Abercrombie employee asks me how long I've been working there. I mean, gosh, I'm not that good-looking. At all.

Daniel.

19. Daedalus256 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow,

well I'd gladly log out of MR for a job at Apple. Besides, anyone I care to talk to I already know on aim :D

20. Roba macrumors 6502

When i ordered my Mac a few months ago the person who was taking my order online was logged into this site and a few other similar sites before i actually placed my order. I was unsure at the time if a faster Mac would come along soon after i ordered mine and so was the guy who took my order. He mentioned a few of these rumour sites and went to have a look at them when i was on the other end of the telephone line.

I think it maybe a wriiten or unwritten policy but obviously not everybody adheres to it.

Good luck with your interview Daedalus256.

21. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

In many ways that's why I like currently working at a store that sells a lot of Apple hardware, but has no NDA. Since we rarely receive any tip offs from Apple regarding new products, it's not needed. I also feel all official Apple stores in the UK are in pretty much the same position anyway, so I'm not losing out.

22. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

kind of like killing the supreme chancellor of the klingon empire gives you the job of supreme chancellor?

23. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

stumping an apple store employee is a walk in the park. Most of those guy learn on the job. It's a cache 22. It doesn't pay much, so how do you expect them to be all that helpful with the higher end products if they are not real "users". Much like car salesman, they know how to sell cars and unless they are truely enthusiasts about the car, they can only know as much as the brochure does.

24. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Dress your best you know a suit with a 'Steve is my homeboy' shirt underneath. Bring up lots of technical terms like RAM and CPU maybe even a pinch of MMORPG... actually better leave that one out.

Good luck to you, I wish we had more than resellers here. I'd like to give retail a try sometime, but we don't have any real apple stores or Lotus Car dealerships. ;)

25. simmonstwin macrumors member

You guys are such nerds :cool: . I've worked at an apple store. All of the the employees (including managment) check out macrumors and other apple related sights , somestimes during work breaks and such.