I'm new and I want to use the marketplace.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Amishexmachina, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Amishexmachina macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2006
    Hi all.

I've been using Macrumors as a really reliable source for information and buying advice for a while now, and I finally decided to bite the bullet and just register on the forums.

I need some advice on how much I could sell my Liquid Damaged, 1.5 Ghz Powerbook G4 for, as I want to upgrade to the MBP. But I can't use the Marketplace, because it says I need 100 posts before I can start a topic. I understand this policy, but it is irritating.

What should I do? Should I just post a lot to inflate my count, or piggyback on someone else's thread? Neither options seem terribly fun.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    You do what everyone else has done and start posting.
    No spamming, mind; it will be deleted if excessive.
  3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    Yeah, start posting. Also, I think n00bs like us can reply to threads in the Marketplace (is this correct?) so if anyone starts a thread with "WTB: Broken PB" or similar, you can just reply and let them know.
  4. Amishexmachina thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2006
    It's a shame. I really wanted an estimate fairly soon. I was hoping to sell my PB, and was wondering what it's market value was.

Ah well. Paitence.
  5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah so if you see "WTB: Liquid Damaged Powerbook" you're in business.

The market value is about what you can get for the undamaged parts. Probably not much. You may be able to sell the screen on ebay if thats not affected. Maybe the hard drive, optical drive, battery, or memory. My guess is you'll probably have to part it out and you can look on ebay and see what the pieces are going for as easily as anyone around here can tell you.
  6. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Have you tried submitting you computer to iFixit for an estimate? They seem pretty fair. I was offered $400 for my old G3 iBook a few months ago.

Here's the link.
  7. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Just start posting on the forums and you should reach 100 posts in no time. It might be easiest in the community and current events sections.
  8. Amishexmachina thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2006
    iFixit seems really cool, and I just submitted an inquarry, but I found something on their site that I find very odd.

Kinda strange that they would choose their mac fixing website as a place to advertise their religion.