I'm new to Imac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wizard064, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Wizard064 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I recently purchased a used iMac for my daughter. Being a PC user I am unsure how to do certain things. Eg: How to stop programs from loading at start up? Are there any sites that you could recommend that will answer the simple user questions I have. Most of the FAQ's I have come across so far are for experienced Mac users. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Regards
    John

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What Exactly do you mean by stoping programs (Applications) from loading at start up? Start up of the Machine, or the program?

Ask your questions here... Many of us have been throught the same thing. One thing to remember, most things on Mac work the same as in Windows, with the exception of Quiting (Apple+Q vs. Alt.+F4), and using the Apple key instead of Ctrl. for most things. Most relevent settings are done in Systems Preferenced (Akin to the Control Panel).

And Remember, If you screw it up, it doesn't take much to fix it.

TEG

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

open System Preferences (under the Apple menu), click Login Items. you can add or remove programs or tell them to run hidden.

paul

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Which version of OS X are you running? Or, are you even running OS X, for that matter? Check this by going to the Apple Menu (the Apple logo on the top left of the screen) and select About This Mac. Let's start off there... it will then be easier to guide you through.

And please, I know you're new, but refer to the Macintosh platform as Mac, your specific iMac as 'iMac'. You are new to the Mac, or new to Macs, and you own an iMac.

Thanks.

irmongoose

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

lol, he might not have an iMac at all. I can't count the times people have called my PowerBook an iMac.

6. Wizard064 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'mnew to Imac

Thank you all for your replies. After investigating your suggestions I have discovered by looking under Apple System Profiler that I have the following:
    Mac OS 8.5.1
    Mac OS Rom 1.2.1
    Built in Memory 96mb
    Virtual Memory 97mb
    Largest Unused block 82.5mb
    Disc cache 3mb
    Video memory 6mb
    Backside L2 cache
    Machine ID 40
    Model Imac
    Processor info PowerPC G3
    Machine speed 266mhz
    FPW built in

I don't seem to have anything that says System Preferences under the Apple menu. Also when I said stopping programs from starting I mean that when the computer starts up Word and some other small programs start automatically. I would like to stop those starting so that the memory isn't used up.
    I have an ADSL connection on my PC that hopefully I can plug into a USB port on the Imac so that I may download some more up to date software. Is this possible? If so which port should I use?
    Sorry for all these novice questions but I have to start somewhere.
    Cheers
    John

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Open the system folder and then find the startup items folder. Remove the items in it.