I'm not good enough to work at CompUSA but these are the people they hire?

Discussion in 'Community' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 21, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    On two seperate occasions I talked to 2 seperate CompUSA employees about Macs and when I asked if a 15" w/superdrive iMac was in stock they both looked perplexed then started looking at the TiBooks trying to find what I was looking for.:rolleyes:

Ya know, I don't expect them to know every product in the store by heart, but for god's sake they should atleast know the iMac isn't a f99king laptop... f**king morons...

And if I sound a lil' bitter it's 'cause I am. :D I got shot down 'cause I didn't have enough retail experience (nevermind the 8yrs of CSR experience, management experience and traveling the world professionally shooting racecars). The HR rep glanced at my work history and then shot me down. Didn't finishing reading my application or cover letter. Didn't ask if I had any computer experience/knowledge. Nothin'. f88king moron. It's probably for the better though. I think the level of collective ignorance in that store would slowly drive me to suicide.

2. mikulashek macrumors member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't consider what I do "living."
    Re: I'm not good enough to work at CompUSA but these are the people they hire?

ouch. I don't think you would really want to associate yourself with compusa anyways. almost all the stories about that place are exactly like yours.
    "no you'd have a hard time doing video editing on the iMac, the mac doesnt really support that. you would be better off getting a new XP system like this compaq.....":rolleyes:
  3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003

That's pretty bad that they didn't even know that an iMac is a desktop.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    our compusa used to be like that but we have a couple of macheads now. ineptitude aside, i just don't like the way compusa presents Macs. they never seem to stock the model you're looking for, the displays don't showcase the product at all...

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    See, the problem was you actually filled out the Application and looked like you had functioning brain cells.

Now, you should have had a 7-yr-old fill out the application in crayon for you. It also probably would have helped if you acted thoroughly entertained by a paper clip or piece of lint on the desk during the interview.
  6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I don't think you'd have been happy working at CompUSA anyway, Lethal. Most of there employee's are idiots, and i'd be afraid some of the stupidity would rub off.

Speaking of places hiring idiots, I have a friend who used to work at Circuit City, and he explained that he had to take a test on electronics to work there. One day, I went in looking for an RCA extension cable. He didn't even know what it was! He didn't even know what RCA was! I eventually said, "The plugs are Red, White, and Yellow," to which he replied, "Oh! Those VCR cables." Man, that guy was an idiot.

Lethal, where are you from in Indiana? I'm from New Albany, down south by Louisville; but I go to school in Evansville.
  7. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    When I got my iBook from CompUSA, the Apple rep had to "train" the salesguy how to handle an AppleCare application -- and the manager didn't like it much. Preferred to sell TAP, or Technology Assurance Program warranties for much more.

Another time, when the Arep wasn't around, I asked about some app or two. Another salesguy said that what you see on the shelves is all that's available for Macintosh -- anywhere. Argued with me about AppleWorks not being made anymore as a separate package.

When I bought an Olympus digiCam, I was asked if I had a fast-enough PC to process the still images the camera produced, and when I claimed owning a 500mhz iBook, was told Apple computers weren't designed for still images, just video, and only on a Titanium powerBook.

:eek: YIKES :eek:
  8. yosoyjay macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2002
    These type of companies need cheap, brainless robots. If you show any ability to think independently you could potentially ask questions or make suggestions. This is dangerous.

On a sidenote, I once went into CompUSA looking for a cheap PC for my Pops. I told the sales person I wanted pretty much a basic box because my dad wanted me to add some stuff later and that I didn't them to set it up because I could do it. The sales person suggest I buy an AMD based box because "they are soooo easy to overclock. All you have to do is run a lead pencil over the top of the chip a bunch and it will overclock big time." I said, "Really? All I have to do to overclock an AMD processor is run a pencil over the top of it?" He said, "Yeah, it is soo easy I recommend it to everybody." WTF? I left CompUSA and never returned.
  9. moby1 macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Sunny San Diego
    This is why I shop online...

I bought some DVD-R media at a CompUSA because it was nearby. I am peeling the little "CompUSA" stickers off the boxes as we speak...
  10. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    lol I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read some of these stories...I thought that one was particularly funny...or sad...or whatever.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I was in arkansas (yes, arkansas!) last summer at compUSA drooling over Tibooks, and met a really cool apple rep there (working). he was up on the rumors, familiar with a lot of benchmark stuff, and very intelligent and gracious in talking to me. i was very impressed. the compUSA here in austin isn't so bad, but i'd never ask them to tell me anything that required real knowledge about apple. that's why i come here :)
  12. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    The apple rep in the austin CompUSA in the Gateway shopping
    center is retarded. The day after the Mirror drive door powermacs
    came out, I happened to be at CompUSA to help my mom pick
    out a CD burner for my sister, and I asked the Apple Sales Rep
    when the Mirror drive door powermacs would be here, and he
    just kind of stared at me with a blank face... and then I sorta
    said 'You know...... The new powermacs..... dual 1.25 GHz. That
    kind of woke him up. It makes me mad that he gets to work there
    even though I, at 15, am better suited for the job. Well that is an
    assumption, but I really do think I would be. And all the other
    employees at compUSA are dumb-asses too. They don't know
    **** about computers. Once I came up to one who was playing
    solitaire while on the job (! :eek: :rolleyes: !) and asked him where I
    could find laser printer toner, and he was like "yeah....... one
    second..... It's over there" and he just pointed. I was like
    "okay......" and walked over and got my toner. Now that I think
    about it, I should have requested them to fire him or something.
    He didn't even look up from the monitor.

They have about twice as many employees than they need, and
    they all just sit around and talk, which really makes me want to
    work there. ;)
  13. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Better off without them

Don't let it get you down. You can find a better job than that. Job interviews are just a part of the process.

Anyway, what was that about Macs not being able to handle video? I must have read that wrong.
  14. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think my iBook came from the Austin CompUSA in the Gateway center... There, or from San Antonio. If anyone here bought an iBook (600mhz, combo drive) and returned it with everything, then I have it :D

I once took a couple of "Everything is easier on a Mac" brochures from the CompUSA, and walked down the strip to the Best Buy, and strategically laid them out in the pee-cee section... I'm not sure how long they lasted there, but I'm sure they confused a couple of people...

**Just a note**

At CompUSA, I think they prefer to hire A+ certified technicians. While I've only passed the hardware part of the exam (I don't use windoze that often, and barely failed the OS exam), I know that hiring only A+ certified technicians is not a real benefit these days. Sure, they may know more about RAM and hard drives, but the whole thing is behind the times. I thought about getting one of those Mac+ or whatever they are certifications, or the Apple Technician Training kit, so I'd know how to fix the Apple hardware.

I've thought about working at my local CompUSA, and still haven't completely abandoned the idea. The people there are friendly, and are somewhat knowledgable about Macs, and when I ask the day something comes out when it'll get there, they know that for Macs- wait a week to three weeks...
  15. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    If I worked at CompUSA, they'd never sell a single PC. Ever. It would be iMac bonanza, each day, everyday. I'd lie if I had to.

800 megahertz? No.. on the iMac, mhz is MAC hertz.. which is equal to really super fastness.

Fast? Well look, it says SUPER right on the drive! That means speed my friend! The handles are so you can hold it down when it nearly flys off your desk at mach 4!
  16. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    Actually.. you can do that. Its possible to overclock an AMD using a pencil.
  17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    LOL! So True, People they have in Hiring depts can be as inept as the next schmuck on the street.
  18. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2002
    some God forsaken place
    I got a funny story. I was talking to my buddy on the phone once. He's the manager of the tech department at a CompUSA. A diehard PC guy. He didn't know that much about Macs and asked the Apple rep there if Macs had faxing software. The rep said that they didn't. I was like you gotta be kidding me.
    I've talked to a few of the PC sales people just to see what they knew. I swear to God that some of them qualified for Jay Leno's Battle of the Jaywalk Allstars. Even I knew more about PC's than them.
    I've tried to get a job at CompUSA too, now that I think about it. I'd have slowly gone insane in a place like that.
  19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    that's been the problem with CompUSA for years...their neglect for the Macintosh platform...

I cannot tell u how many times in the past I'd be in their store, roaming around the 2 tiny isles...looking for help and never being able to get it...

at least they got their sh*t together by having certified Apple people work their expanded Apple sections... :rolleyes:
  20. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002

go work at an authorized apple dealer, it will be much more fun and you will actualy be around people who like macs as much as you do.

21. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Better off without them

I'm just venting. I've already got another job. It was just so jaw-droppingly dumb that I still can't wrap my brain around it. I didn't even get an interview. I dropped off the application and the guy at the desk asked me to hang around for a second. The store's HR manager walked up, picked up my app, looked at the prior work history, put down my app and informed me I didn't qualiy to work at CompUSA. :rolleyes:

22. guitargeek macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2003
    I don't have a CompUSA in my neighborhood, but if they're anything like Best Buy, then they don't know anything about PC's, either.

One guy was insisting on how important it was that I get the $70 insurance plan for the $40 CR-RW drive I was buying... right, because I'm going to spend almost double on the insurance plan...
  23. TonicAngel macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2003
    don't feel bad, I have a degree in computer science and i still got turned down. I know more about computers then the handful of people that work at my local one. :rolleyes: Apprently they just want dumb people who stand around and talk while refusing to help a customer. :mad:
  24. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    You should be hired by Apple!!! :) Nice Marketing! Mac Hertz! heheheheheh
  25. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    but in a way he would be lying to them..... PCs are in fact faster
    than Macs. If I worked at compUSA, I would take the software,
    elegance, and iApp route instead of the Mac MHz rout.