I'm Not Racist.

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Why do people get angry when you describe someone by their skin color?! How is saying, "The black guy over there." Any different or worse than saying, "The guy with black hair over there?"

Have any of you noticed people like this? It's like they are too uptight or think it's bad to describe someone by their skin color or race. Is it really that bad to say something like, "No, the arab mike."

IMHO, I really don't see why people find it bad to say something like that.

Don't get me wrong I have asian, black, mexican and Ropigahian friends, whatever. But I just think it's weird that people still think it's racist to say things like that.

I saw a black comic talk about how she thought she could make the word Nig*** less of a taboo word because she was so fed up with people (whites) tring not to offend blacks by not mentioning anything about skin color or anything like that.
    So she would make "Nig*** chips." "Pass me the cheese Nig***." And she went through all the flavors of the chips. It was pretty funny. "But there would be no barbaque flavor, that would just sound weird."

Then
    "What kind of party is this? You don't have have any Nig***S?! You've got all the crackers and no Nig***S!? I was much more funny on live :D

Sorry if my post offends anyone, I don't know why it would. Why not listen to a black persons (the comic) point of view on the issue? I think we are so quick to not to offend anyone and we tread so lightly that we actually treat other races differnently, and they notice. :eek:

Anyone that has felt this first hand? What do you think?

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: I'm Not Racist.

I usually say the black person over there or if thats offending, then I just say the loudest person in the room :D

I'm one of those peoople that will never say African American, ever.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It depends what situation I am in, but generally, you will hear nothing but sarcasm in reference to political correctness over here. I cringe at the hypocracies and the proverbial hoops we must jump through. Case-in-point, I got criticised at school making a joke about if a white tree fell in the black forest. Would anyone around hear it...nm. You all got it...

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I never considered that racist. Skin color is a physical characteristic and there is no reason to avoid using it.

Besides, if it was really that offensive we wouldn't have to fill out race on college applications, census queries, etc.

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

just remember people, race should never be a factor in anything [as screamed by all these "black activists"]. Nice little hypocracy eh? Race should never be a basis for discrimination, unless it is in your favor -- such as being able to claim a hate crime for any reason.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

tazo = racist

sorry for speaking the obvious

explain your joke to me please

i agree with durandal. using it as a description just like hair color is fine with me

7. Dros macrumors 6502

I don't think it is racist. I do know someone who will toss in the fact that a person is black when it isn't relevant to the topic at hand (usually disparaging) , like "I was at a store, and the counterman, this black guy, was sooo slow." That example is pretty blatant in that it seems like he means to link the slowness with being black. Usually it is done in a more subtle way, but leaves me scratching my head about why he mentions it. Probably he grew up in a white culture and just still needs to point out everytime he runs across someone different.

But if you are trying to identify a person, then it is a pretty good distinguishing characteristic in an otherwise white group.

8. leet1 macrumors 6502

Call me racist, but if you look at grades, attendance, test scores, ect. black people <atleast in grades 9-12> were NEVER at the top. Color does play more than just a role in how a person looks ;)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you suggesting skin color plays a role in intelligence level?

10. leet1 macrumors 6502

Yes, I'll try to find a link to my old school districts test grades and such that they usually published every year to give to the parents.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is most definitely not racist...

In order for us to live in a color-free society we will have to be able to call each other by the names we call ourselves. I don't see any black people calling each other 'african americans'. I don't see any white people calling each other 'caucasians'.

In fact, I can even think up some situations where calling a black person an african american would be slightly offending.

scem0

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I guess by commenting on their race as a description, means that it is their most important feature to you. Or the biggest thing that you notice.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Grades and intelligence are not necessarily connected. And I have seen several studies refuting the idea that different races are inherently more or less intelligent than others.

You better have more than just your school districts grades to back up that statement.

14. gwangung macrumors 65816

Using race as an adjective is OK in my book. Using it as a noun, isn't.

15. leet1 macrumors 6502

Ok, real world observations :rolleyes: , crime statistics..

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I disagree.

I call people by their first names all the time, but their names are a lot less important to me than their personalities.

If there are 2 people in a class named Rob and one is black while the other is white. If I am telling someone about one of them and I call the black Rob 'black Rob' I still don't think that his skin pigment is more important than anything else about him. Its just a means to show someone who I'm talking about.

I'd also like to comment that I think racism is a very ugly thing. Well, that goes without saying, really.... but if I heard someone say 'I hate black people' I would never be able to look at that person with an ounce of respect until he got some sense and maturity.

scem0

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I kind of agree with this.

'He is a black' sounds kind of disrespecful, IMO.

But saying 'He is a black person' is definitely fine with me.

But it all depends on who you are talking to. Some people would find both things offensive (even though I don't think they should find either offensive), while others wouldn't care about either.

scem0

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I have come to the conclusion that intelligence is in fact genetic, but that gene is color blind as evidenced by certain posters in this thread.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

uh the answer to the race/intelligence thing is obvious. most minorities dont have the same access and availability of the same stuff other races take for granted.
    I'm entirely serious.
    Anyway.....
    i feel like singing...
    What's wrong with the world, mama
    People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
    I think the whole world addicted to the drama
    Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma
    Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
    But we still got terrorists here livin'
    In the USA, the big CIA
    The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
    Badness is what you demonstrate
    And that's exactly how a n**** works and operates
    N**, you gotta have love just to set it straight
    Take control of your mind and meditate
    Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
    Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
    Can you practice what you preach
    And would you turn the other cheek

Father, Father, Father help us
    Send us some guidance from above
    'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
    Where is the love (Love)

Where is the love (The love)
    Where is the love
    The love, the love

It just ain't the same, always unchanged
    New days are strange, is the world insane
    If love and peace is so strong
    Why are there pieces of love that don't belong
    Nations droppin' bombs
    Chemical gasses fillin' lungs of little ones
    With the ongoin' sufferin' as the youth die young
    So ask yourself is the lovin' really gone
    So I could ask myself really what is goin' wrong
    In this world that we livin' in people keep on givin' in
    Makin' wrong decisions, only visions of them dividends
    Not respectin' each other, deny thy brother
    A war is goin' on but the reason's undercover
    The truth is kept secret, it's swept under the rug
    If you never know truth then you never know love
    Where's the love, y'all, come on (I don't know)
    Where's the truth, y'all, come on (I don't know)
    Where's the love, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
    Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
    Can you practice what you preach
    And would you turn the other cheek

Where is the love (Love)
    Where is the love
    The love, the love

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
    As I'm gettin' older, y'all, people gets colder
    Most of us only care about money makin'
    Selfishness got us followin' our own direction
    Wrong information always shown by the media
    Negative images is the main criteria
    Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
    Kids act like what they see in the cinema
    Yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity
    Whatever happened to the fairness in equality
    Instead in spreading love we spreading animosity
    Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
    That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' under
    That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' down
    There's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin' under
    Gotta keep my faith alive to lovers bound

Where is the love (Love)

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Is it ok in your opinion to say 'I hate white people'?

22. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Well I can definitely see the two rob thing. Kind of like when I was growing up my friends little brother had the same name as me, so he was little <my name> and I was big <my name>

But I was merely commenting that if a black person is standing by a planter next to a water fountain, and you refer to him as that black guy over there. Then race is something you notice. I typically would refer to him as that guy by the fountain. But that is just me.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think it is normal when pointing out an individual to use their most outstanding feature. The guy with the iPod, curly hair, red coat, etc. I think it is strange to use their skin color as the first means of identification though, certainly as a secondary means it would be ok.

This doesn't bug me at all, I think it is only common sense. However, when I lived in Seattle on First Hill there was a large population of North African immigants in the neighborhood. I was quite fascinated by their stately, regal bearing, intensely colored clothing, height, women were treated as equals, etc, they guys were great soccer players too. But, when I would talk about them at work, and it was an average workplace, maybe slightly liberal, I got strange looks. I finally realized that frank discussion of different ethnic groups was sort of, well if not taboo, then seen as gauche.

I have always been intensely curious about different cultures and do what I can to learn more about them but I do think here in the US we don't have enough frank discussions about immigrants. Open dialogue usually seems to bring more understanding IMO. I don't really think it has as much to do with PCness as it does about Americans not wanting to get involved with their neighbors.

Any other thoughts, other than tazo's and leet1's one liners....

24. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

leet1, have you thought that black people, who are generally a disadvantaged minority in this country, might not have the same opportunities as white people? I've lived in Los Angeles and currently live in San Francisco, so I speak from first hand experience. Black people generally live in poorer communities and thus have poorer educational facilities. Schools are funded through property taxes, and if you live in a poor community, you've got lousy schools.

Also, the attitude of people who share your sentiment might be keeping minorities, and black people down. I don't think many people share your views, but those who do might not give minorites, and black people, the opportunities they deserve.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: I'm Not Racist.

How do you define people from South America, or Asia? Brown, red , yellow? I think that if color was used across the board it wouldn't be nearly as pejorative as using it only with black or white people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.