Im not sure about making the switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChillinNigerian, Jun 18, 2004.

1. ChillinNigerian macrumors newbie

Im not sure if its worth it at all because I have several expensive windows programs (Dreamweaver, flash, etc.) and it would absolutely suck to have to shell out a ton of money buying mac versions of them. I have an external hard drive that i would be able to transfer them with but i doubt that the Windows version would be compatible

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Well congrats on your news. The FAT filesystem is fully supported under mac os x, so no worries there. As for the programs....well i dont know. I doubt those would work well under vpc 6..maybe vpc 7 (which will be released too with supposed native video card support, unlike now where it emulated the video card, and g5 supprt.).

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Ahem... make that "rumor says that it will support hardware graphics cards". MS hasn't made any announcements about it.

Software investment is definitely a problem switching. Perhaps you could locate someone switching the other direction and trade software?

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Guys, be realistic the both of you. You will have top get the new soft any way. What you can do is to see if you can do something with Adobe and Macromedia to see IF they recognize your new software as an upgrade price. I doubt it but that would be it.

But you will have to get the M$ Office as well and some other soft too.

Or you can take them from the net until you can get new ones :rolleyes:

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well before you make any decisions give macromedia a call. explain your situation and some companies offer a small fee to have your licenses changed to the mac platform.

iJon

6. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Thats why i said supposed native video card support ;)

7. lefty111 macrumors newbie

software is costly

Remember that new Macs come with lots of great software: iLife apps, iCal, iChat, iSync... my TiBook even had Graphic Converter for photo editing... heck you can use TextEdit for basic word processing. Being a student, I was fortunate to get ed discounts on the following that I needed for school: Office Vx, EndNote, SPSS, Keynote, GoLive. Each time I wanted to use Fireworks, I downloaded the 30 day trial version (hehe)...

The good news for PC to Mac switchers is that both platforms use (for the most part) USB and Firewire for I/O, so your printer and most of the other peripherals should have drivers to work on both. Gone are the days of parallel/serial/ADB/SCSI switching issues.

8. wide macrumors 6502a

I know that with macromedia software you may download the 30-day trial and then input a CD-key to register. since you did buy the software, you might want to try using the CD keys that came with ur windows software..

also, some programs from macromedia have both mac and windows installers. i was in the apple store recently and saw macromedia flash and dreamweaver, and they had both the mac and windows boxes on the top left corner of the box. check your software for that.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/11434434?source=Evening Standard

Reason enough for me! :D

Look into the trade, upgrade thing I too have heard many companies do this for switchers. Some software has both versions like someone else said, but not all do...for example, when I was going to buy Photo elements Walmart carries a box with both versions of 2.0 for Mac and PC for around $57, but the mac shops in town carry only the mac boxed version for almost $100...go figure!

anyway, I think it is worth it but obviously you will need to look into the potential cost of upgrading, etc.

Why are you thinking of switching...reliability, ease of use, etc.????

10. biscool macrumors member

All copies of PS elements 2 are both win and mac, they are on the same CD. There is no 'just mac' version....

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I know there was either just a PC version (no Mac included) or just a Mac version. Now that I think of it I think I saw the PC only version at Staples. It had a copy of ther photo album software with it but had no mac version on the CD...just PC.

12. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Eh? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...05877-2546348?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

edit: Oh wait theres this too, which is windows only: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...-1805877-2546348?v=glance&s=software&n=507846

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, that second one is the one I was speaking to. Originally when I was shopping for this the second one was packaged as Photoelements 2 with free photo album...and was all my local staples carried in stock (online they carry both boxed versions)

So there is a windows only CD version to buy, not a mac only version...sorry I misspoke, but biscool was wrong as well as not all copies are mac/winblows. Biscool was right in that there is no Mac only version of course.