I'm not upgrading to ML without Siri

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by v2club, Feb 26, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.

2. macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I think you're the first person to draw this as a red line...

3. macrumors 68020

Can we quote you on this in a year's time?

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...

The ML will be cheap (I guess it won't be more expensive than Lion, which was 22 quid here in the UK) so I'll be definitely tempted, but let us see what else the Apple team will come up with, so far I'm most impressed with the unified address bar and search bar in Safari (which I'm pretty sure will be available to all, without the need to upgrade) and Messages (which won't be available to Lion users, however it's not worth 22 pounds).

5. macrumors G3

The feature list is somewhat lacking right now. For what's mentioned currently, I'm not sure it's a $30 upgrade.

We'll have to see what additional features get announced and what under the hood improvements there are.

For some people the push to upgrade to Lion and eventually Mountain Lion will be as software they use change to require those versions of OS X.

6. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Okay then. Don't upgrade.

7. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Siri is a worthless gimmick anyhow. Call me when it becomes actually efficient to use, rather than just doing it the manual way on the touch screen.

8. macrumors 68030

How about the feature: "runs much faster"?

9. macrumors G3

That would fall under "under the hood improvements". And much faster would be good.

10. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Runs noticeably faster than Lion on an early 2008 15-inch MBP, 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM. Things feel much smoother.

11. macrumors 6502

Some people wait for a release to become more stable before upgrading.

12. macrumors 601

That’s not a complete list though - that’s a list of feature that Apple chooses to highlight.

13. macrumors regular

How about we get Siri working reliably on my phone before we try and add it to the computers? I swear it's a 50/50 shot whether or not I get the "try again later" message.

14. macrumors 601

It’s going to take a lot of work to get it working on computers too - people have been envisioning voice dictation with a computer for years. It never has worked too well.

15. macrumors 6502

That alone is worth an upgrade to me. (Although I'd be much happier if it were a free update)

16. macrumors 6502

I would pay 29 to make Lion faster, with a few gimmicks.
    But I won't mind paying 129 if they "fix" spaces and throw in Siri.

17. macrumors member

afin

Context: I know that when it came to the 10.7 we sort of knew all of the coming features from the get go and that was that.

Question: In anyone's opinion, is 10.8 seeming to follow the same trend?

Either way, I'm of the opinion that it's only thirty dollars for an improvement/polish of lion.

18. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Did we really ?

Don't mistake that list of "features" on Apple's site as a definitive list of everything there is. I bet there's a few features in Lion you still don't know about, 6 months later. ;)

19. macrumors regular

I usually happen across new features by accident when I'm working.

20. macrumors 68030

What's your number? I want to inform you about how efficient Siri is in situations when using a touch screen would be impractical (or dangerous) but talking to your phone isn't (like when driving, for example).

21. macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Siri isn't too great. I wouldn't use it if it was included in a OS X release. It seems to me like most people who bought a 4S got it for Siri, and they rarely use it. It's a cool toy, but it is no tool for working. It wouldn't increase workflow, and it's not even accurate most of the time. I don't see the big deal in typing your own sentences and working yourself....

No need for this voice control crap.

22. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I think you should concentrate on driving instead of trying to dictate text messages or setting reminders, no matter the input mode you're using.

And frankly, the last thing I want to do is repeat myself 50 times when driving and trying to concentrate on the road.

"Siri, remind me to buy bread when we're near IGA"
    "Sorry, I don't understand"
    "Remind me to... BUY BREAD.. NEAR IGA".
    "Sorry, I'm having difficulties right now".
    "Scratch that"
    "I don't understand"
    "Nevermind"
    "I don't understand, sorry"
    "CANCEL"
    "OK".

Geez.

----------

I bought a 4S for the A5 and SGX543MP2.

23. macrumors 68000

Kariya

Okay.

[​IMG]

Siri is highly unlikely to debut in ML...its not even out of beta on iOS.

24. macrumors 68030

Now, i don't see it as being a deal breaker if there is no siri, but i reckon it is ideal for those background things that distract you from your work.

eg:

Copying files - you get to a file it needs to know whether to over-write. The mac doesn't pop the window up, just says "do you want me to over-write xxx file?" and you answer "yes" or "no".

Need to spell/grammar check something? Ask siri.

Need to be reminded to come back to something? Tell siri. Eg "remind me to come back to this document tomorrow" or "remind me that I need to send this off by 4pm today!"

I reckon there's far more benefit to siri on the mac, than on the iphone, because the mac is a multi-tasking device with a lot more going on.

25. macrumors 65816

jackc

Great idea, I suspect it's not ready for 10.8 but will come after that