I'm now a Mac user

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Super20, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

:) I just ordered my first Mac today. I ordered a PB 15" with superdrive and also got in on the cram and jam deal and got an ipod as well. I'm an educator so I ordered with my ed. discount. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. I've used PC's since before windows 3.1. I remember using my "TRS-80 Color Computer II" from Radio Shack! My big decision to switch was at a music camp this summer and 2 of my peers were using their PBs to share some music they had written with Sibelius and the songs they've done with Garage Band. Other than a great looking machine, I'm just impressed with how well they function. I'm so excited to use this in my teaching and just having it with me when I babysit study halls. I'll bet on a daily basis I have to reinstall something on windows because something installed over something else and it erased this or that. Right now, every time I reboot, it tries to install new drivers for my hard drive! Anyway, thanks to everyone on here who helped me make my decision and answered my newbie questions. I hope you can all put up with more once I get it in my hands!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Congrats on the new laptop! MacRumors is the largest serious Mac using community on the web. I know SpyMac is technically larger, but it doesn't count as a serious Mac community now does it? ;) No offense to SpyMac die-hards of course.

3. Koree macrumors 6502

Welcome!

Congratulations! And if you ever have a question about your computer you can always bring it to macrumors and i'm sure there will be people just ready to answer your questions.

Koree

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Yay. you saw the light! I just ordered a 15" powerbook too!

5. rand() macrumors regular

Sweet!

That's awesome!

I remember my Trash-80. I had a III and a IV, if I remember correctly. Ahh... ProDOS 1.0. Fantastic.

Congrats on the new Mac!
    :) -rand()

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations.

you will find macrumors a great community, you have kids here who are still in high school or middle school who know a whole lot about their macs and programing, you got your poor college students strugglying to get by, then you got your young and not so young proffesionals, and some unemployed ones. everyone here is generally friendly, and pretty knowledgeable, you may find yourself with a ton of questions in the begining, but before you know it you will be answering questions for the next switcher.

7. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Congratulations!

We're here to help.

I have used macs for all my computing life... from an Apple IIe in elementary school to my first Mac of my own: an SE 30 I worked two summers to get. You will like it. If not, let us know...

We have ways to... motivate you.

8. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new PB.
    Also having switched recently, my PB charms me everytime I sit behind it!

Enjoy!

9. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

The 15" PB is one of the best laptops around, congrats.

10. ThomasWong macrumors newbie

Congratulations! I'm also a new switcher of a 15" powerbook! Let's explore the interesting stuff of Mac OSX!

11. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

congrats!

I've had mine for two days and I absolutely love it! Jumped from a win98se box, and I'm glad I did, and never had to do the xp upgrade. I concur with everyone who gave props to MacRumors, I've been reading it for months and when it came time for the purchase I felt very comfortable with what I was getting.

15"pb, 256 ram, 60gb hd - runs awesome, and i can't wait until i add a 512 stick :)

12. Nspace macrumors regular

Awesome, i just got my 15" Powerbook last week. I wouldn't consider myself a switcher really, because I still use both platforms frequently, but I am used to both and I am really enjoying Panther.

I actually started my computer experience on a mac, building slide shows and stuff in HyperCard and HyperStudio. It was quite fun, this was back in grade 4 though. I have been using pc ever since and win95/98/98se have not been great. My windows experience has been much better with 2000 and even better with XP.

As for OSX I had used it quite a few times in my printing class doing pre press work and stuff. It was nice but I was never a big fan. I ended up getting a powerbook for school, going to study graphic Design in Toronto, and the program is all mac based so it made sense. I can say that I really like my "new" experience in osx much more now since I have been able to set up things the way i want them.

I <3 expose.