I'm off the the Genius

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EJBasile, Aug 2, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Tomorrow I'm going to the apple store to get my iPod and PowerBook's problems resolved.

PowerBook G4 12" 1.5ghz SuperDrive:
    - Doesn't always go to sleep when it supposed to (either never or 5-10 minutes too late)
    - Sleep light doesn't always work when computer is sleeping
    - I have reset PMU, zapped PRAM, and checked startup apps but no change
    - OS reinstall (OS 10.3.9) is the only fix, but problems come back
    - 90 day phone support is over (grrrrr!)

iPod 3rd Gen. 20gb -11.4/18.5 GB used:
    - Freezes frequently
    - Doesn't always connect with computers (says "do not disconnect" but nothing shows up on PB. Sometimes it will pop up on the desktop if you wait 15 min)
    - Battery life is horrible 2-3hrs at most
    - iPod is up to date
    - I have tried restoring but did nothing
    - Not in extreme temperatures or shaking environment (running/jogging, etc)
    - Not eligible for iPod Settlement and is out of warrenty
    - This is my 3rd iPod, the first two broke and apple replaced

If anyone would like to give me any last minute suggestions that could explain the problems I'm having here that would be great. Do you think the PB sleep problem is software or hardware? As for my iPod do you think they'll do anything with it. Its not under warrenty yet it is not even 9 monthes old (warrenty was from 1st iPod back in Dec. 2003). Do you think if I talk to the manager they'll do anything for me.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

What part of CT are you from? I'm from West Haven. Are you going to the Danbury or Farmington Apple Stores? I got my mini from the Danbury store on Saturday.

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm in northern CT so I'm going to the one in Westfarms mall. I've never been to the one in Danbury but maybe I will go some day when I'm in the area. How big is it.

Congradulations on your mini purchase.

4. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Thanks! Farmington, West Farms, I alwas confuse the two. The Danbury mall is pretty big and the apple store is a decent size. I've only been there twice.

5. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

One idea:

Have you tried using disk utility to first partition the ipod into 2 partitions, then reformat it to one partition (this apparently does a better job of completely wiping the ipod clean) and reinstall the new ipod software?

Does the ipod get hot when it is plugged in to the PB but not showing up? Does it make a clicking noise? (Like the HD in the iPod is trying to spin-up, but can't) Either of those would point to hardware failure, and you might be out of luck... :(

6. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

It gets pretty hot when its plugged in, but I don't hear any clicking noise. I do however hear a hear a high pitched squeak every 2-3 seconds when the HD is running.