I'm off to get my PB -- what should I do first?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zip, Jan 24, 2004.

1. zip macrumors member

I am excited, I am going to get my computer (finally)!

This is my first laptop and my first Mac using OS 10. Anything I should do when I first get it?

What sort of basic maintaince should I do? Everytime I ask at the Apple Store they said I didn't need to do anything.

2. pdrayton macrumors member

Here's one thing... others will have additional tips, I'm sure. Your instruction book will advise you to calibrate the battery the first time you power up. Do this by fully charging your PowerBook, then leaving it on un-plugged until it completely drains and goes to sleep, then fully charge it again.

This will help you achieve maximum battery life.

If you're not using Bluetooth, turn that off to help conserve battery power.

Enjoy your PowerBook!

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

and before u order make sure to get the edu discount..if u qualify

4. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Buy MacAddicts Official Mac Handbook... its good reading for a mac newbie. Explains many things about your new toy and its OS.

5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I'd recommend the "Missing Manual" series book for OS X -- it's got lots of good reference stuff in it (including explanations of OS X maintenance-type tasks).

6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

in a similar vain...

my first mac will be arriving on Monday. I already have the memory upgrade here, waiting to be tossed inside. Originally I was going to power the computer up to check to see everything seemed to be in working order, then shut it down and install the mem. Rather than doing this, should I just install the mem before turning it on? Or should I turn it on, charge it, run the battery down, and THEN install the mem? Or does it really not matter what the heck I do!?

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Always boot up the machine before installing ram for the first time (just to make sure the machine boots up properly).
    –Chase

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah do ur additions after you check out ur machine, cuz in the unlikely event of a DOA machine, it rules out the ram possibility.

9. Fall macrumors member

Get a dark corner and play with the backlit keyboard, if you have one...

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

well, i'm excited for you, i'm glad that you can finaly afford your machine!

i have heard good things about "the missing manual" so that may be a good buy.

11. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i was in a similar situation..i just plugged in the ac adaptor..and turned the baby on..just to make sure what wd i screw up..:D..and then i installed the new ram...
    i dont think charging the whole battery matters for changing the ram...
    cheers