I'm off to Singapore...I see Mac is there...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fall, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Fall macrumors member

Nov 29, 2002

I'm an Aussie, going to Sri Lanka, on the way back going to Singapore and I see on the back of my work PowerMac they have written put together in Singapore or similar...

...now, I'm on the market for my own Mac, and I'm a tightwad without much money, what are my chances (from anyones experience) picking up a cheap MAc in Singapore and getting it home...or is there no real advantage to going to the home of mac, in the hope of getting one on the cheap...

...thanks for your input!

EDIT: new, 2nd hand, doesn't matter, just cheap! my price range is about $1000-1300 singaporian...
  2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    It won't be any cheaper in Singapore than anywhere else... it's just the parts that are made in Singapore or Malaysia, so Apple won't be selling the package for any less. Now, as for second-hand, that depends on the individual, so I can't say anything about that...

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    apple regulates the price of their stuff, which is why it's always within a small range wherever you see it. however, dealers can put in all sorts of incentives, like free bundles software, free printers, monitors, and so on. if you get one used, though, you may be able to find a good deal on the cheap end. don't expect to get too lucky, though, and don't be in too much of a hurry. and buying in singapore probably won't help you at all. just be careful ;)
  4. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    go to apple store online for singapore and check the prices. then use MAc OS X calculator to convert.

as for the small prce diference i can save about AU$300 of a new powerbook 12" from Hong Kong and about $600 off a PB 17".

Now do the apple store check. retailers are normally within about 5% of apples prices.

Also if they dont want to do a freebie but want a sale (singapore this is likely) do something like the following:
    If i buy an airport (extreme if needed) card then you give me 512MB of RAM. Something like that. Worked for me.
  5. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    Since you are of the traveling type, I suggest a 12" PowerBook or an iBook. iBooks are the cheapest Apple portables, but you sacrifice for speed. PowerBooks come smaller than the iBook and faster too, but they cost more. You'll prolly find some good deals on RAM in Singapore I believe. Not that RAM isn't dirt cheap everywhere (cept at Apple).

iBook Prices

PowerBook Prices
  6. Fall thread starter macrumors member

Nov 29, 2002
    Thanks for all the help guys! Yeh, I didn't expect anything whopping over there...perhaps I can steal a G5..always cheaper than buying one!

Oh, and this is my first trip anywhere...frankly the whole desktop/laptop issue I believe I would rather the speed than the portability, since I don't really need to get around...much.
  7. pinks macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    Enjoy Sri Lanka. Brilliant country. I was there last summer at about this time and it was truly amazing.

Plenty of cafes for internet access, although no Macs in evidence i'm afraid.

- Al