I'm off to Spain(Madrid) - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diatribe, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hey,

I'm heading off to Madrid in a week for an internship which is going to last till the end of october and I was just wondering if anyone has any valuable tips for me.
    It's not quite the first time that I have been abroad but unfortunately I have never had the oppotunity to spend a longer period of time in Spain.
    So what should I be prepared for? Or should I just let everything come to me, like I always did?
    Thanks for any input.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Just in case...

You need a nice sentence for nice girl:

"Vamos tia, que estas preciosa y me gustan tus zapatos, se verian hermosos debajo de mi cama"

;) :D

then, at the end:

"Gracias, fue fenomenal, me la he pasado bien... oleee"

:) ... I hope I helped you ;)

4. pooky macrumors 6502

Well, if you like art, check out La Regina Sofia. I can't tell you how to get there, because it's been a while, but it's well worth a day. The Salvador Dali exhibit is incredible. The Madrid Botanical Gardens is another good attraction, and very close to la Regina Sofia.

If you have a weekend and care to travel, I recommend Andelucia province. Almeria is nice there. I also liked Valencia and Alicante (Alacant to the Valencianos) on the east coast.

Have fun! It's a great country, I wish it was me going.

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hehe, that is going to help a lot. :D I'll be memorizing that phrase...
    But what the heck do I say when it was bad? :D

6. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Great. Thanks a lot. I will definitely be checking these out. I don't know if I get the chance to travel but if I do I'll try to visit Andalucia.

This is going to be so much fun. I love working abroad.
    And although I already speak 4 languages I must admit I am kind of anxious to go and learn my fifth. :eek:
    Every time I work in a foreign country with mediocre knowledge of the language it is exciting to say the least. It turned out well the last couple of times though... :)

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

be polite...

if you are not... "Eres un gilipollas" "Cabron" :D :D

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My friend lived in Madrid for a few years while studying for his MBA in international business, and I got to visit him. So, here's what I remember.
    • There's only one telephone company, and its prices are so high that most people opt for cellphones. It's apparently rare to have a landline.
    • Everyone smokes, everywhere you go. You have no choice but to get used to it.
    • In summer, it's hot and dry...drink more water if you aren't used to the climate (which gave me a sinus infection, yay!)
    • Spaniards are very nationalistic, and most people do NOT speak English. The exception is some of the younger generation who have more cosmopolitan tastes. My friend had to translate for me everywhere we went. Also, there's a distinct Madrid accent which takes time to master for those who learned textbook Spanish.
    • Madrid is very walk-able...like many older European cities, public transportation is easier and less expensive than having a car.
    That's all I can remember at the moment. For tourist stuff, there's a Muslim castle thingy out in Grenada or Barcelona, I forget which; I think it's called Al Hambra or something similar. I didn't get to go (sinus infection) but I've seen pictures, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Hope these fragments are useful....