I'm officially over-overeducated

Discussion in 'Community' started by wordmunger, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Today I received my third university diploma in the mail from UNC Charlotte: an M.A. in English.

Add this to my other degrees, an M.A. in Science Education from Columbia and a B.A. in English from the University of Chicago, and you will see that I'm horribly overqualified for my current career as blogger and freelance writer.

What useless (or useful) degrees to other MR readers have?

2. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

still studying, so I dont have this problem now [​IMG]

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This thread makes me feel more of an idiot :eek: :p :D

Congratulations mate, I can only imagine th amount of work you have put in to get those.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Glad I am not part of this group. ;) :)

Congratulations, you are only over qualified on paper not in professional experience. :)

It depends how you choose to see it. ;) :)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good point ;) I'm in PC support, and I have known many people that have every MS/Cicso/blah certification under the sun, but can they actually fix a problem & deal with people, hell no! :eek:

6. jasylonian macrumors regular

i'm heading towards the land of overeducation with my M.A. in economics, but that's only because I have so little work experience. I'm hoping that law school equalizes this to some extent.

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think my real problem is that I actually *enjoy* school--it never seemed like much work to get all those degrees. I need to like my job more and school less!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Good for you, dude. That takes an awful lot of dedication. You should be proud for yourself.

As for me, I lost interest in formal education by the 10th grade, barely showed up at school often enough to qualify for my grades and get a diploma (well, it is supposedly still sitting in the safe at my high school, waiting for me to bother picking it up :eek: ), and took a single college night course before I threw in the towel on education for good. I got a job at a printer as a paper cutter, and have worked my way up to VP of our prepress department.

OTOH, I have a friend who graduated from high school in 1977, and is still going to Johns Hopkins in pursuit of continuing his education. I think he is on his 6th or 7th degree in various types of engineering. He makes silk screened T- shirts for a living, and I run into him maybe twice a year at the local disk golf course. He is one of the happiest people I know.

Different strokes, and all that. It's all good.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I only did the 2 which were relevant to what I wanted to do which was design. So straight from school to College to study a BTEC National Diploma in Graphic Design, and then straight to do a BA(Hons) degree in design.

My brother though, apart from the usual school qualifications, he's got a National Diploma in Graphic Design, a couple of National Diploma's in Business stuff, a couple of HND's in Business stuff, a few of those smaller qualifications City and Guilds (something like that) as well as some other professional diploma's he needed at whatever company he was at, and also a BA degree.

He spent almost 8 years in higher education, which actually was more to do with the recession the UK was under from '89 till the mid '90's, but still... he has an impressively long CV. :p

11. iGav macrumors G3

and that's why they're likely still virgins too. :eek: heheheh

12. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Im pretty thick.
    But even im willing to award you with an MSc in gloating.

I am only saying this out of jealousy.
    Put it this way, i measured my own IQ using 2 short planks. Oh well, theyll come in usefull when i beat off this green-eyed monster. :confused:

13. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Congrats, WM!

I've got a BS and MS in Aero/Astro engineering. Part-way to rocket scientist, I am. What do I do? Java apps for managing a company's network devices. Percentage of education used: ~0%. My last exam in grad school, I calculated the necessary trajectories, burns, and orbits required to get a probe from Earth to a moon of Jupiter. I'm sure some simplifications were made, but it was essentially all there. Now? I spend my days in meetings (when at work) or coding simple Java (when at home) - when I'm not on MR.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Plenty of fluids and a little rest should cure that, unless there are also warts.

(my Latin is a bit weak, sorry)

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The more this thread goes on, the more stupid I feel...:eek:

meh, oh well :D

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You mean, because you don't have a ton of superfluous degrees that you never use? Seems like you're smarter than a bunch of us....

18. russed macrumors 68000

russed

that is impressive. all i can say is you must be a glutton for punishment. how many years have you spent in education now to get all those?

19. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

You do not need a thread in the eyes of many people around here :rolleyes:

In the actual world we have to be very carefull with our field of study beacause many careers are changing too quick and by the time you finish the 4 years of college you are discontinued.

I would sugest to everybody to read a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" that explain that situation very well and many other things realted with paradigms and money.

20. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Sometimes when I read that I recall Bull S*** and a Mayor S*** :eek:

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wow, thanks for that random insult. Same back atcha hommie [​IMG]

22. pigbat macrumors regular

I'll chime in to help edesignuk feel better then. I graduated HS and took a few college classes. I spent 3 1/2 years in the military and ran as fast as I could to civilian life. :D

I'm now the lead Unix engineer for a company with nothing but that HS diploma and a few technical classes here and there. It's my passion and I enjoy it. Some day I may go back and get that degree. My daughter starts college in a couple years and I was considering taking classes with her.

To anyone who has taken the time to get their degree(s), kudos to you. It does take some dedication and it definitely gives you something to fall back on.

23. Zeke macrumors 6502

I thought I'd chime in that I feel I'm horribly overeducated but also horribly underuseful (new word from my overedumacation). Hopefully that will change eventually. Double b.s. degrees in mechanical engineering in physics currently getting PhD in Applied Physics specializing in nanotechnology.

24. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

congratulations dude!
    Im hoping to be over-over eucated one day. BS in biochem/anatomy. BA in industrial design. MD. :)

25. juicedus macrumors member

I've got a B.S in Computer Engineering and will be graduating in May with another B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Hopefully this time around I can get a job, if not then its off to get a M.S. in Electrical Engineering. :rolleyes: