I'm on a neighbors wireless network... All to easy.

Discussion in 'Community' started by whw5, Nov 25, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Hey guys I'm staying at my friends house this weekend with my powerbook. I was worried about no internet but little did I know that right next to their house was a free wireless network. I started up my computer at the little window popped up asking me to join..... So of course I got on. Their network was mounted on my desktop along with all their files. What silly people. They didn't even encrypt their network. I think I will tell them at the end of the week when I leave, or mabe just let them keep it like that so when ever I come over I can use it.... Have any of you had a similar experience. I just think its so cool that I can do this.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    theres a raging debate whether or not what your doing should be legal or illegal
    and then theres the whole moral debate

but when ur faces with the possibility of having no internet, it seems morality is thrown out the window hehe

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i don't have any friends which don't have a wireless network covering there house suppose it's partly to do with liveing in central london.

screw morality there not using the bandwidth if i want to download a big file it do it at school at a 1MB per second :D.

if you want to keep your connection encrypt your network.

mine has a 28 character long password :p

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My viewpoint:

Their fault, but I won't mess with their files. Just leech their internet connection for a few minutes/hours/days. I won't use the "rm" command on their hard drive, but I will check my email, check MR, etc.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm doing right now, someone nearby has an unprotected network. Still have my own internet connection, but instead of having both iMacs on it I let the older one use its airport to use bandwidth from the open network. Just about everywhere you go now there is an open network somewhere. Most of it goes to waste anyway as it is unused.

I wonder if people can tell, or find out if you are on their network?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Some routers will allow you to see the current list of computers accessing that router. Others will allow you to log activity (aka, someone joining/leaving, doing admin stuff on the router) while others will not.

It all depends on the router and the firmware. But if they are leaving their network wide open, chances are they don't know how to see who is logged in to their router.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I think they may be onto me, I can't get access to anything on that computer. I guess I'll just have to get an airport of my own and make sure that it is a secure network. I shouldn't have anyway, I wouldn't have been happy about anyone doing the same to me.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Oh the moral arguments - the 'radio waves are in my space so of course I can use it' justifications and the 'they're idiots so why not' to 'it's stealing - you wouldn't walk into their house and use their sofa without asking'

If I need a connection and find one open, I'll use it to check mail and do some surfing. I won't try to look at their files and I won't download anything too huge or illegal (not that I do that at home either!). I've also never been able to identify whose network I'm on as a result (and Hector, there are lots in central London! Take your PB for a wander round Soho one day)

I have a friend who when they find a network they can identify (a small business who doesn't know better), creates a document explaining that their wifi is insecure and leaves it on their network - or, once, set it to print out at each printer!

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

no but i'll stand in the doorway to get a bit of warmth if it's wide open.

maliciously screwing with peoples files is plain wrong btw

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Feh. I have a wireless router at home. I don't it encryped. All I have is it set so it doesn't advertise. All my machines firewalls are on, and I do all my shopping over ethernet (what little I do). So I don't really worry about it, for now anyway. My kids are getting to the age where they want to be online more and more, so I may lock the system down one of these days.

edit: I tried to lock it down a while ago, but I had issues with my router working with my Airport card. Time to try again.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is certainly of great concern that someone else could be using my wireless router. To mess with another persons files should be illegal. It is definitely morally wrong. From experience mine is well encrypted by Earthlink. I know the neighbors on either side, know that they aren't into hacking.

12. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

13. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

14. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I completely agree that messing with peoples files is wrong but I have been trying to find a printer on their network to print a little message off of.....

15. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

[​IMG] too

Shouldn't be that big of a deal since it's only for the weekend.

16. oldpismo macrumors member

I have a wireless network, which at the moment I leave open on purpose. We are at the end of a cul-de-sac, and therefore get no passers by, but its easier if a friend comes round who wants to access the web for them to just get on. One neighbour has broadband, but the others don't, and I figured that if they use some of my bandwidth (especially when I'm not using it) then it costs me nothing so why not?

Things will obviuously have to change if I find anyone trying to tamper with my machine, but until then I figure its for the greater good.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I really don't care. If you're not fudging up their files, and are just doing regular web surfing, you're really not costing them at all, or at least this is the case in Canada. Some countries require that you pay for each MB of high-speed internet you use, similar to Pre-paid/Pay-As-You-Go. Anyway, just don't mess with their stuff, and I don't care if you leach off their internet for a day or so.

So you're a hypocrite?

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No. Was just pointing out some of the things I'd heard on either side of the debate - took a while to think of the 'it's bad' one since I do think that as long as you don't damage anything/snoop around, using the bandwidth is fair enough. If the person doesn't want me to, it's easy enough to turn it off! :rolleyes:

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I was at a MacWorld conference a few years ago. (The desk-lamp Mac)
    In the public areas were Airports so folks could join for free. Being the "white-hat" I am I did two things.
    I looked around for un-secure accounts, moved all their files into one folder, and left a text clipping telling them they had better lock up. Also, If I found pirated software, I sent over 100's of duplicated clippings titled "PIRATE!". Watching the heads pop up was a RIOT, and it was hard to look innocent.

20. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

21. winwintoo macrumors 6502

OK I admit I'm pretty dumb about networks, but I'm surrounded by unsecured networks that interfere with mine so I have no qualms about using their bandwidth when my own is unavailable.

My question is, how are you people *seeing* someone else's computer through their unsecure network?

All I see is the network under the airport menu and if it lets me I join it, but I can never see any of the other computers connected to it.

Do the folks you're messing with also have internet sharing turned on?

I'm curious 'cuz being so stupid about all this, I might be one of those dummies that's got a wide open machine sharing all my secrets with the world while I sit here thinking I'm protected.

Thanks Margaret

22. matthutch macrumors regular

I know some ISP's, here in australia anyway, have it in their standard form agreements that you aren't to share your internet which you get from them with people outside of your house - not in those words but you should get the idea - and that they can cancel your net if they find out that you have been sharing it with the whole street or something. Personally I have never heard of someone's net being disconnected for such a reason, but who knows might happen.

Don't get me wrong though, I have connected to toher peoples networks when my wireless has been down, or my whole connection has died. As many of you said I don't believe it is too bad if you behave yourself while on someone else's net, that said however I don't like the idea of people coming on to my network (not that they can, well actually if someone went to the trouble to crack the encryption and get on without me noticing i reckon they would deserve a bit of a surf ;) ). I don't say the intended to come across as a hypocrite, but it is simply that I know I behave myself - don't snoop around, do illegal stuff etc - but I don't know if the person entering my network is kind enough to show the same respect.

but yeah, if your not misbehaving i see it as being not too bad. About telling them when you leave, it is up to you, I would like to think that i would if i were in your position, simply as they might have no idea that it is even open and as i said before, you might behave while on their net, but who's to say someone else isn't on there who isnt behaving.

Well anyway enjoy the free-net while it lasts ;)

23. matthutch macrumors regular

"shift + apple + k" while in the finder will take you to the "browse network window" thats one way

24. winwintoo macrumors 6502

So if nothing shows up there, then they must not be sharing their files??

I have my firewall turned on and sharing is off, am I safe even if someone gets on my wireless network??

Margaret

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yeah. And Windoze cannot read HFS+ formatted disks, so...yeah. You are good.