I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy a Mini tomorrow but got a RAM Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrploddy, Dec 27, 2006.

1. mrploddy macrumors member

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy a Mini tomorrow on HE Student discount in the UK HOWEVER I've got a ram question.

I'd rather not do a self ram upgrade with it not being user replaceable. So if I stuffed anything up my warranty would be void. So...

1) I remember there being 3 stock mini configs available in store, was the 3rd config a ram variation or a hard disk variation?

2) Can you get RAM upgrades done in store and how much are they?. It's £50 online to go to 1GB from 512mb. IS it more expensive instore?

Thanks

mrploddy

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm pretty sure you can upgrade ram at the store, i think its a while you wait thing or they call when its ready...

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah, you should be able to get the RAM upgrade in the Store, like puckhead said.

The prices should be the same in the Store as they are online.

4. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Aren't you going to wait for Mac World San Francisco? If nothing else you'll probably get iLife 07.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not here. Here, they charge an arm and a leg, as you don't get an "upgrade" price - you pay (dearly) for the extra RAM, and then you've got the other RAM to, oh, make earrings with.

I recommend more RAM, I recommend buying it online (the reconfigured Mac) so as to take advantage of Apple's less-greedy upgrade price, and, as mentioned, I highly recommend waiting until MWSF, not only because of iLife, but also because we might see RAM bumps in the base configurations.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Check www.apple.com/ukstore. Write down the prices with more RAM; you need them at step 2.

2. Go to the store, ask how much the RAM upgrade costs. If it costs more than at www.apple.com/ukstore (which you wrote down at Step 1), tell them how much it is at the website, and tell them you thought they matched the price from their own website.

At that point the store employee has the choice to match that price or to not match it (I am quite sure it is his choice), and he will either match the price and be happy that he could help a nice customer, or he will not match the price and be happy that he could make more money off a customer that he didn't like - just what you would do if the roles were reversed.

7. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I agree.. I think they'll get bumped to 1GB standard actually too...

8. mrploddy thread starter macrumors member

I've had a macbook since August 07 and i've not used Ilife once. (Photoshop+Dremweaver geek)

Leopard is verging on the highly unlikely due to it's apparent unfinished state.

As for RAM bump, the buyers guide says we're not due for a bump yet so..:c

-mrploddy

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You do know that's speculative based upon historical trends, right? There might not be a bump, but, given that you'll know in two weeks, isn't the possibility worth the wait?

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

in two weeks were gonna get a thread about him complaining why he didn't wait ;)

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

*slurp*

1GB standard would be so generous...