I'm Ready to start folding!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Koree, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Koree macrumors 6502

Sorry, newb here

I want to get my G5 folding... Just wondering are there any bad things about it. Does my computer slow down at all? Do you need a good internet connection? And where do i get started? I hope i'm willing to fold after hearing your responses.

Koree

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

the faq has a lot of answers ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=21908 ) but it can only really cause heat problems

you should not notice slowdown problems

the only times it needs and internet connection is when it is recieving protein data or sending it (beginning and end) (at least thats my understanding, i have tested this and it seems true)

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's not gonna melt your computer... it might make the fans be on a lot... in which case you'd probably want to stop folding just due to noise.

It doesn't download much at all... so I wouldn't worry about that.

See if you can catch up!

4. Koree thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I think i might let it fold while im at school, and then turn it off at night. Hope my G5s liquid cooling can handle it ^^;;

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have a dual 1.8 and fold 24/7. It doesn't make your G5 a lot hotter, the fans just run as fast as normal. Your internet can get a bit slower when f@h connects to the server (a complete WU is most of the time 1 MB), just like sending email with a big attachment.

So, when are you planning on overtaking me?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Koree, welcome to folding you won't regret this. After all it's for disease research, and it helps MacRumors team. I have a dual 450 G4, don't notice any slow down. Also keep it running 24/7.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Koree, I also just started folding for MR, (due to a guerilla-marketing approach here on the site). Glad to see you join up.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Welcome aboard! I just recently got into the top 200 folders for the team (#186 as of today).

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is good news Chip NoVaMac. Congratulations and happy folding.

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

welcome to the team koree :)

a DP 2.5GHz G5 will really crank through the units. make sure both processors are running to get the max out of ur machine