Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I just got the keyboard, we will see if my perspective changes using the Pro.

Did you use a keyboard with a regular size iPad? It will not be much different. The apps out there have not redesigned the layout to take advantage of the iPP screen. Everything will just look bigger, but no new features are added.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Interesting opinions here which don't surprise me. I had an itchy trigger finger during the pre-order phase to get the IPP but now I'm glad I didn't. I waited and looked at the IPP in the store and realized it was not for me.

I might still pull the trigger in the future but with the holidays coming up, throwing $1000 at something I don't need would be foolish (even though I could do it since I'm financially able).

I like buying the latest and greatest stuff but for the first time in years, it's just not going to happen. The IPP still needs work to be a viable substitute to a MacBook pro. It's still just a bigger iPad no matter how many ways you slice it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Did you use a keyboard with a regular size iPad? It will not be much different. The apps out there have not redesigned the layout to take advantage of the iPP screen. Everything will just look bigger, but no new features are added.

i got a Logitech for the Ipad 4, to tell the truth I did not use it that much and just used the internal keyboard. But this Pro is much bigger so we'll see.

Reactions: N54TT

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Tried a WiFi 32 for the weekend. It's going back this afternoon.

Probably just how I use my iPad Air 2, but for me "iPad" equals quick grab and use around the house, on the couch, pass around to look at stuff and pull up videos/tweets, etc and the IPP is just a bit too unwieldy for that.

All good - Lots to like there if you use it differently, but for me it's as cumbersome as an actual computer without doing any of the things I prefer on an actual laptop or desktop

Reactions: jpfour23

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand people expecting the iPad pro to be a laptop replacement. For many, it can be, but if you can't currently use an iPad Air as a laptop replacement, nothing will change with the Pro. I am not there yet, but I would like to use only an iPad as my main computer. Unfortunately too many compromises as this point.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
I don't understand people expecting the iPad pro to be a laptop replacement. For many, it can be, but if you can't currently use an iPad Air as a laptop replacement, nothing will change with the Pro. I am not there yet, but I would like to use only an iPad as my main computer. Unfortunately too many compromises as this point.

You don't understand that when it would be entirely possible to make it a better device?

People need to realise that a laptop with a kickstand and pen and tablet with a pen is not a hybrid. It is a new device, which is better than a normal laptop and better than a normal tablet without those features. You also won't need a crappy keyboard to fold up endlessly like a pancake. The hybrid talk is over. It is no hybrid, but what should be today's standard in computers.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You don't understand that when it would be entirely possible to make it a better device?

People need to realise that a laptop with a kickstand and pen and tablet with a pen is not a hybrid. It is a new device, which is better than a normal laptop and better than a normal tablet without those features. You also won't need a crappy keyboard to fold up endlessly like a pancake. The hybrid talk is over. It is no hybrid, but what should be today's standard in computers.

Eh, I don't know. The surface sucks as a tablet, so you just have a normal laptop most of the time. It costs the same as a Mac which can run Windows or OS X. I see that as a huge advantage. More so than a screen with a kickstand and a pen. Just me though.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Eh, I don't know. The surface sucks as a tablet, so you just have a normal laptop most of the time. It costs the same as a Mac which can run Windows or OS X. I see that as a huge advantage. More so than a screen with a kickstand and a pen. Just me though.
Isn't the tablet battery life on the Surface short as a stand alone tablet?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Thinner and lighter? o_O

It's so thin as it is. How much thinner and lighter do you want? This is what confuses me. There are comments like this and then comments about not enough battery or no 3D Touch. Both of which would add weight and thickness.

Which is it folks?

Thinness does not matter but no heavier then a magazine. That's the goal.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Yea I think it's like 3 hours. Hardly a hybrid device in my eyes.

You're talking about the Surface Book in clipboard mode. The Surface Pro 4 gets about 7 but does a lot more than the iPP 9. For example, I can run both Caustic and Sunvox at the same time plus multiple instances of the same browser so work done per battery hour is much higher on the SP4.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
You're talking about the Surface Book in clipboard mode. The Surface Pro 4 gets about 7 but does a lot more than the iPP 9.
Most of the reviews I've seen of the SP4 have stated that around 5 hours is the average. I'm not sure if that's taking into account a lot of the bugs that are plaguing the SP4 right now (including it being difficult to get the device to actually sleep when the screen is off, an issue that IIRC has been on-going in the Surface line up), but that seems on-par for the Surface Pros but is pretty weak for a "tablet".

For example, I can run both Caustic and Sunvox at the same time plus multiple instances of the same browser so work done per battery hour is much higher on the SP4.

So with split-screen multitasking, I can say that my iPP gets around 20-24 hours of "work done per battery hour"? ;)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So with split-screen multitasking, I can say that my iPP gets around 20-24 hours of "work done per battery hour"? ;)

That's if your iPP turns on after charging or maintain a charge while in use and plugged in. Split viewable apps are very limited so no side by side Safari and you can't run both Caustic and Sunvox in the background so relative to SP4 the 9 hours of iPP is more like half or less since you have to do most things serially.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That's if your iPP turns on after charging or maintain a charge while in use and plugged in. Split viewable apps are very limited so no side by side Safari and you can't run both Caustic and Sunvox in the background so relative to SP4 the 9 hours of iPP is more like half or less since you have to do most things serially.
I guess we each have our needs; glad the SP is meeting yours. I don't know what Caustic or Sunvox are, but they sound important to you.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
You keep mentioning these two apps (?) as if they are something we all need. Pardon my ignorance, I have not even heard of them.

They're music creation apps/software. Caustic is considered the best of its kind and was recently ported from Android to iOS. Sunvox is equally good in the top five. More importantly just an example of being able to multitask many more than just two apps at the same time on a real OS but in reality iOS is probably limited to running one or the other but not both at the same time.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caustic/id775735447

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunvox/id324462544

Last edited:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
They're music creation apps.

Thanks.

For me, the only multitasking I need on-the-go is to juggle a few apps - Dropbox, MS office, email, PDF annotator and perhaps with music playing in the background. Since my brain could only focus one content at a time. My iPad was sufficient. I suspect I am not the only one in this situation.

You definitely should stick with your Windows machine. I'm just glad I didn't have to.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I'm returning my IPP as well. Exchanging it for a new one. The screen is just too bad on it. Have an appointment Friday.

image.jpeg

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You're talking about the Surface Book in clipboard mode. The Surface Pro 4 gets about 7 but does a lot more than the iPP 9. For example, I can run both Caustic and Sunvox at the same time plus multiple instances of the same browser so work done per battery hour is much higher on the SP4.

Yea I think you're right. It's not 3, but still not great. I guess I just don't see why you would need to run those on a tablet. Are they touch optimized apps? If not, a laptop, which is what the surface actually accomplishes, would better suffice. Which my Mac runs great. I just think the surface is a crap tablet. It's a solid laptop with a touch layer, it's painful in that regard. I may be the minority in that though, which I accept.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
i got a Logitech for the Ipad 4, to tell the truth I did not use it that much and just used the internal keyboard.

Yeah, if you already own an 9.7 iPad and don't use a keyboard much, chances are you wont use it much with the iPad Pro. I definitely like having a keyboard for those times I've taken it to meetings for notes, or need to type something longer than a couple paragraphs. I think the iPad a suitable tool for word processing, but I like the keyboard to be separate from my case.

As far as buying the iPad Pro is concerned, I considered switching from my Air2, but I really feel like the 9.7 size is perfect for me.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Interesting! I noticed this on mine as well. It had a yellowish tint up towards the top and was significantly more noticeable at a slight angle.

Yeah, it's rather annoying. Really hard to enjoy it when all I see is yellow. I am being bounced around from AT&T to Apple to AT&T to Apple on whose going to replace it. I will probably order another one and return this one since it seems that is the simplest, quickest way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.