I'm scared of touching my Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gherkin, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    Everytime I sit down and touch my Powerbook for the first time, I get a little electrical shock. It used to do this maybe every 50 times or something, but now, every single time I get the little shock. The shock is just like a little static electricity shock, but it's quite annoying.

Anyone else experience something similar?
  2. TrashCanDan macrumors member

Apr 1, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I get the same thing with my Power Mac every time I turn it on. Now I try to discharge the static electricity before I touch it by touching a lamp or something metal. I dont think you can hurt it by discharging on the case just dont let that happen on the inside ;)
  3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    There was a thread about this a while ago. Maybe a couple. Try here or here.

I think this is a fairly common issue.
  4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    It happened to me too, I have no idea why. Pretty good shock, too... sometimes I could see a spark. :p I'm more concerned about the 'book than my finger...
  5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Are you using the "duckhead" plug on your AC adapter or the long cable plug?

The duckhead doesn't have earth, while the other one does.

It can make a difference
  6. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    I'll bet you live in Colorado or out west right? I live in Florida now and get no shock whatsoever but when I took my powerbook to Colorado last week I got shocked all the time. Its the dry air that creats an electrical current in your body. You see there is not moisture to dilute the electrical field in the air so it is all absorbed in you body and discharges on anything metal that you touch. It happens alot when you sit down and get up. I took a video of me touching the doorknob at the hotel and you can see the blue electricity jump up to 1 inch from my finger to the door knob. I did it with my nose too, that was a hoot. Gave me a headache.
  7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
  8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Wow, learn something new everyday... :D And yeah I live in Minnesota, which is just as bad.