I'm Scared!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5Unit, May 27, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Last night at like 10 oclock my PM G5 went crazy, all the fans went at full speed an I think my harddrive did too. What do I do? It sounded like an engine. It did it every once in a while and just this morning when I turned it on.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It happens. There is a bit of software that controls the fan speed. When the software fails the fans go full on. Mine sounds like it would take off (perhaps that is why the beast is 60#, to keep it on the desk when the fans go.)

Reboot it. Do the standard checks, make sure its not overheating (vents not blocked etc.)

3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

There are 3 instances the fans will go insane:
    1. When you start the machine
    2. When it has a kernel panic
    3. When you shutdown the machine

If your fans are going to full power when the machine is acting normally and not under insane load then you have a hardware issue that needs fixing.

I have woken up twice to my PowerMac having kernel panicked and that is quite a noisy thing to behold.

4. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Since I heard from Apple that my iBook battery may be bad and is subject to the recall, I have been shutting my 'book down rather than leaving it on 24/7. I've noticed that at start-up there is always a short blast of the fan for maybe 1-2 seconds.

I never ever noticed this before Tiger, although I didn't restart very often. With Tiger this happens on every restart.

Its not a problem to me, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this under Tiger, or maybe before that?