I'm sick of phone lines!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Dec 27, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

We (my family) has two phone lines in our house. One is used for regular phone calls the the second is used sloely for internet. (broadband of any kind is not avlalible where I live)

The latter just went out.

Lucky for me, nobody much calls past 9:45 here so I have a bit of internet time.

As soon as I move out, I hope to get a place where I can get both broadband and (as much as I hate them) a cellphone.

Be back.............hell I don't know.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Verizon Wireless advertises add-on equipment to let you use your cell phone as a modem. The other cell companies no doubt do the same. I don't know anybody using such an arrangement, though. You'd need a plan with a large number of minutes per month (or unlimited minutes) before you'd be able to use a cell phone for daily Internet access without potentially paying a fortune. But with an iBook and cell phone modem, you'd certainly be portable!

3. dricci macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of something today... Just think, the analog telephone was wonderful, for it's time. But in this day of digital cable, digital cameras, and many other digital devices, wouldn't it make more sense for the phone companies to replace the analog phone system with a digital one? Like, say your phone line (or something similar) was 100% digital, not limited by analog signals on the line. You could have plenty of bandwidth for Internet, as well as digital quality telephone calls, and even open up the ability for mpeg-4 video conferencing.

Phone calls, local, long distance, and even international wouldn't *need* to cost extra, because it'd all go over the already existing Internet like any other data packet.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

An all-digital phone connection? That's what ISDN is/was all about. And Voice over IP is a protocol for using your Internet connection as a phone line.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

phone lines are soon to be history. Cable companies are running phones through coax to attract more customers to bundle deals with cable TV (instead of satellite) and cable modem (instead of other broadband)... they've even got the whole thing on battery backup, as the federal gov't requires phones to work during power outages...

i'm switching as soon as it's available here... tho the idea of my cable company having *that* much control is scary, and they're a little unreliable...

:)
    pnw

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

This is already happenning, it's just that the "last mile" (telco to home) is still analog because upgrading to digital costs money. The rest of the phone system is basically all digital. Telephone audio quality hasn't noticeably improved over the years because the phone companies prefer to compress it heavily into the smallest bitstream possible rather than give you crystal clear audio. ISDN and DSL do cost more than a plain analog phone line, because they use more bandwidth and bandwidth costs money. Phone companies are scared ****less of voice over IP because they can't control it. We will not be seeing mass adoption of internet telephony or videoconferencing anytime soon.

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

here in japan, i have an adsl connection. hell doesn't everyone have broadband these days? what's special? BB!phone is VOIP and it is approaching mainstream here in japan. how does it work? you pay your provider for subscription, plug a regular phone of your choosing into your modem and voila! VOIP in a mainstream situation.

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: I'm sick of phone lines!!

You can get satellite service where you live!!!
    It works everywhere.
    The Downloads rates are very decent (about 256~ 768kbs)
    But the uploads sucx thou (128kbs, but better than you have now!!) ;) ;) :D

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I said "screw you" to the phone company here a while ago, I too hated cellphones (and more importantly the people that use them) but I don't regret switching to just cellphones and cable, it's actually rather convient having one, and I never get any phone solicitors.....:D

10. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Wow, whoever knew that me ranting about phone lines would lead to useful information.[​IMG]

Still out of a second line and to top it off it's raining again and If you remember a thread I made awhile back, the power goes out almost every time it rains hard.[​IMG]

My parents already have a Verizon phone, but we can barely get a signal out here, much less a reliable internet connection, plus the speeds are slower than what we have now so it's not worth it until the price/speed ratio lowers a bit.

The digital phone idea is kinda interesting, AT&T offers one, but they're reluctant to even provide cable internet, much less a digital phone (cable TV is no problem for them however.[​IMG])
    And plus like alex_ant said, it's that last mile which need to be upgraded for anything to happen (also that last mile of line here is so old and degraded that I can't get more than 26.4k out here, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG])

I just hope that the power doesn't go out before we get the phone line fixed.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

edvniow I hope your phone line gets upgraded soon, certainly would hate to loose you on Mac Forums. I have Verizon also. It took me 6 months to get them to correct my problem.

The computer said that our line wasn't compatable with DSL, called the help desk and finally they sent out a engineer into my area. It had sonething to do with copper in the line. When it was time to order the DSL it had to be done by hand instead of computer because of the original problems.

You should have your father make calls to the help desk at Verizon, maybe they could be of assistance in your case also.

your friend :)

12. Zion Grail macrumors regular

I hear ya. The lines here absolutely suck. I can't get a stable connection at all.

I need broadband...

13. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

Start your own Tel-Co :-D

get your self some investors, and some kick ass equipment. and apply to the FCC for your own local exchange and area code (Some dude in Florida did it) then request to the local phone company to use their fiber, (by law they have to let competitors in the market or at least Qwest does here) and then pop in a OC-3 or 48 Connection and use Broadband to your hearts delight! and name it somthing cool, like "Nitro Phone Service" and go to town :-D
    I have thought about doing it

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Man you are lucky

In my country we do not have flat rate in the local area, If I call the house in front of me I'll be charged!

To have a flat rate I have to pay about $60 every month and I have to pay extra for cell phones calls too.

A dial-up connection cost another $60 flat too.

At list my DSL line cost about $30 (256k u/l and d/l).

15. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

This is f*ckubg ridiculous.

The phone companty fixed our line, but since yesterday, it has bogged down to about 15k or something, plus it disconnects randomly because 'the other side isn't responding'

I'm about ready to cough up some extra ca$h for broadband, but I don't think it's even avalible in our area. Is there any site I can go to check at? I've tried www.dslreports.com , but it's not specific enough.

Anywhere else?

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You could check web sites of particular broadband companies, such as AT&T, and see if they offer service in your zip code.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm sorry you might have posted this someplaces else, but where do you live, I know some 'area' only companies that can hook you up depending on your location. :D

Oh yeah you might want to try one of those free 'boost 56k connection' apps.

18. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

The phone companty fixed our line, but since yesterday, it has bogged down to about 15k or something, plus it disconnects randomly because 'the other side isn't responding'

That's interesting. While I always have a good fast connection (43-48K) I daily get the "other side isn't resonding" message on my TiBook. And the ISP is only 4 blocks from my house. Maybe someday I walk up there and complain. BTW, my pc never disconnects. Hmmm.

19. fuge macrumors member

I did the same this month.

I was paying...
    $30 plus taxes/fees for local phone.
    $10+ plus taxes/fees for local phone long distance.
    $75+ plus taxes/fees for 2 cell phones with no long distance.
    $30 for cable modem access (1.5-2 Mbps ... I love the City of Tacoma)

I now have...
    $70 plus taxes/fees for two cell phones with national rate plan that includes free long distance to and from anywhere.
    $30 for cable modem access.

Saving $45 is great. It was the taxes and fees that were really starting to make me angry.

:D

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hi edvniow, I'd like to reccomend Earthlink. I've had their DSL for a year, $49.95/mo. No complaints, they have great customer & technical support.
    You can check your availbility in your area!

http://www.earthlink.net/broadband/

21. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Well I live about 20 miles outside of Santa Cruz in this little hick town on Highway 9.

I've checked every possible place I can think of to check for broadband on the internet (AT&T, SBC, EarthLink, various broadband report sites) and nothing.

If I lived about two to five miles (I'm not really sure the exact amount) closer to 'town', then I could get it.

No satellite because my parents have tried to order and the satellite guy came out to our house and tested to see if our view of the sky was clear enough and it wasn't.

F*ck.

22. yosoyjay macrumors regular

Broadband Cell Fones

I'm surprised so many of you still use dial-up. I dismissed my landline about 2 years ago when I first starting getting broadband service. I'm now tired of having a cell fone and I'm going back to getting a landline.

The problem is I really dislike Qwest and determining prices about services is impossible to shake out of them unless I actually place an order. They refuse to give me an accurate portrayal of what the cost per month will be. They won't disclose what the taxes and regulatory charges are until I get a statement. Why the hell is that? When I switched over to just using cell fones all companies I inquired with we're more than willing to tell me exactly what my bill would be per month assuming I didn't go over my alloted minutes. Ug...

I'm interested in VoIP... anybody have any info of any available service in Seattle proper?

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Anyone know if there is a way with my verizon service to connect my Tivo/DirecTV receiver to it as a standard phone? I just need a way for it to call out a couple times a week. I can even activate the call out from the receiver it just has to call out though to keep my dual receiver service and Tivo. This would allow me to illiminate my land line which would allow me to kick old Qwest squarely in the balls and tell them to **** off.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

edvniow, I'm so sorry to hear of your dilema! It must be so frustrating. I went through a difficult time also, trying to get DSL.

You should try calling the help or resolutions department at your local phone company. I found that you have to begin with your local company 1st.

I truly am praying for a resolution to your internet connection problem and your finding employment. Having a good job could solve all your problems! ;)

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Time to move? I'm sure U.C. Santa Cruz is fully wired; maybe you could work or attend school there!