Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Even doing general things like surfing the web, iPad 4 is much faster than 3. Even loading basic sites like CNN.com.

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
The iPad 4 is more or less the iPad 3, given the obvious lightning connector and home button, but internally the iPad 3 and 4 could swap parts if they needed too.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The 4 looks nice... not nice enough for me to upgrade. Dumping my 3 for the Mini and then moving on to the newly designed 5 for my next upgrade.

RSC10

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
I know three people who made the switch from 3 to 4, and *all of them* say it was worth it in spades.

I may pull the trigger on a 4 soon.

I upgraded. Mostly because my iPad 3 had a yellowish hue in one corner that ended up bugging me more than expected. The iPad 4 is noticeably faster in many ways. The browser speed is, IMHO, a speed demon. Pages load faster. Games boot faster. Everything is quicker. Happy I made the switch (and no more yellow corner!).

dendkmac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Love the iPad 4 but it is going back to Apple...going to wait and see how there future upgrade cycle will work, I do not want to get caught up in it at this time...maybe get another one down the road, for now the ipad2 3G will suffice. Tough going back to the non retina display but it is tolerable, enjoy your 4.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I also think they will do something (have no idea what) to address the issue of weight on the device as well, bringing it back down or possibly lower than the iPad 2's weight.

Their hands are somewhat tied on this. There's no magic solution that they can just design into the product. While I'm sure they will find a few ways to trim things here or there, a significant percentage of the iPad's weight is its batteries. And battery technology just doesn't exist yet than can power a Retina display for a decent amount of time at significantly less weight than the current option.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Their hands are somewhat tied on this. There's no magic solution that they can just design into the product. While I'm sure they will find a few ways to trim things here or there, a significant percentage of the iPad's weight is its batteries. And battery technology just doesn't exist yet than can power a Retina display for a decent amount of time at significantly less weight than the current option.

The key will be lower power displays as the display uses the majority of the power. Less power drawn by the display = smaller batteries. Pair that with new screen tech that eliminates the air gaps and you have the recipe for a thinner and lighter ipad.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Very true, if you are a hardcore gamer or are a Power user for productivity apps such as photo/video editing, then I would agree, the upgrade to the iPad 4 would most definitely be worth it.

All that being said, I would bet a fairly substantial amount of money that a majority of those looking to upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4 have no such needs, and are simply looking to possess Apple's latest and greatest, which by the way there is nothing wrong with. However, there is no real reason to upgrade in most cases IMHO.

Agreed. I use my 3 primarily for content consumption and the occasional game. For 98% of my use, the 4 offers no perceivable advantage over the 3. I've seen the multiple video comparisons of app and page loads - almost impossible to tell the difference.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I would never understand anyone throwing $ in iphone5 64g as well ...
I record a lot of video. 32 GB for $100 more is $100 for 16 GB. 64 GB for $200 more is $67 for 16 GB.

Sell iPad 3 now for $380, buy iPad 4 for $620, sell iPad 4 next year for $400, buy iPad 5 for $720.

Sell iPad 3 next year for $280, buy iPad 5 for $720.

If you plan to sell iPad 3 next year to buy iPad 5 next year, then you might as well sell it now, buy iPad 4, and sell iPad 4 next year.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I record a lot of video. 32 GB for $100 more is $100 for 16 GB. 64 GB for $200 more is $67 for 16 GB.

Sell iPad 3 now for $380, buy iPad 4 for $620, sell iPad 4 next year for $400, buy iPad 5 for $720.

Sell iPad 3 next year for $280, buy iPad 5 for $720.

If you plan to sell iPad 3 next year to buy iPad 5 next year, then you might as well sell it now, buy iPad 4, and sell iPad 4 next year.

I sold my ipad3 for $400 week ago, buyer also paid PayPal fees. I am recording video too, I just stop and move video file to PC to free up space.

----------

The regular ipad looks like one of those cheap digital frames on my grandma's fireplace.

And mini looks like one of the $20 toys from kids r us, especially with non-retina screen and slow processor ;)

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
People are saying it's hardly any faster than the iPad 3...well that's probably just because every intensive game is written for the A5/A5X and is scaled down to a resolution less than that of the Retina Display.

Hopefully developers will update their apps to take advantage of the new CPU/GPU.

Remember when the 3GS came out and it wasn't that much faster than the 3G? Now look at the difference.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Saw the mini and loved the form factor. Also no issue with the screen (except the fonts which are small and may be a problem after hours of use) but i ll upgrade my ipad 3 with the 4th gen. for one simple reason.... i have a portable device and that is the iphone 5 which i dont want to "kill" it by purchasing the ipad mini :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSsZ94Qg_5E

Last edited:

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
We got a 4 (well 2 technically) but we returned it due to poor screens. The first had a haze over the whole screen which made it harder to read on, the second was great except it had a yellow tone on the top left (portrait) and a darker tone in the bottom right (portrait), it also had more backlight bleed visible.

So rather than try one more time my wife just decided that we'll wait for the 5 and bought a Mini for herself (as an Xmas present).

Regarding the 4 compared to our 3 I noticed in some thing's that it was faster (ESP loading games like Arc Fighter, doing PDF rendering) and not that noticeable at other things. Unifying around the new lightning connector would have been useful and the 12w charger was nice.

The downside is that it pointed out the physical flaws of my 3 more too me (slight tint in one corner, a bright white bleed 1/3 way up one side which can be noticeable reading sites like this one and a not so noticeable piece of dust under the screen near the home button). I'm not sure I want to try swapping it though as I hate playing the screen lottery.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
OP are you sure about the speakers? I too upgraded from an iPad 3, but I did not notice much of a sound improvement.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Gave my mini 2 weeks and its going back. Picking up a 4.

The screen is good if that's the only device you have. But switching between 3 and mini is hurting my eyes... Literally. Feels my eyesight going fuzzy when I look up and ipad 3 screen isn't as clear after prolonged use of the mini. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked lol...

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Apple did the 4 now to move the release before the holidays. No way they'd release in March. It was a smart move. Yes it sucks for many but as a business it was the best move..

IS there any proof to this? Or is it just an assumption?

Not saying you are wrong, but not sure about the certainly in your statement.

----------

Love the iPad 4 but it is going back to Apple...going to wait and see how there future upgrade cycle will work, I do not want to get caught up in it at this time...maybe get another one down the road, for now the ipad2 3G will suffice. Tough going back to the non retina display but it is tolerable, enjoy your 4.

What's the reason? Just the upgrade cycle worry?
I'm on the fence at the moment about upgrading from the 2 to the 4.

I actually did the same as you earlier this year with the 3. I got it, used it for a week and then returned it because it had a severe yellow tint to the screen. I also didn't feel it was a big enough leap for me over the 2.

Was it much faster for browsing the web than the 2?

Thanks.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It is a tough sell. Maybe if you are really into the Lightning connector and doing a lot of iMovie and heavy gaming. If you sold your 3 well and the upgrade is only $100-200, then maybe....

Anyone who is using a lot of iMovie and or heavy gaming isn't going to use an iPad but a Mac of some kind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.