I'm SO PISSED AT ICHAT!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgeek2005, Jun 15, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Okay, so it unexpectedly quits on me. That's it. It just quits. It's like that guy who made that "Why macs suck" video. He said:

"One of the great things about a mac is it's really easy to quit a program. All you have to do is be using a piece of software and *poof*, it goes away. It's gone. You didn't push any buttons, didn't do anything, it's pretty neat"

But I am seriously pissed right now. I repaired permissions, I restarted and zapped the P-Ram, and I trashed EVERY SINGLE ICHAT PREFERENCES FILE that could have possibly gotten corrupted.

I open up iChat again, it takes me through the intro proccess because I had trashed all the settings, and POOF, it's gone!!! It unexpectedly quits!!!

AHHHHHHGHSDHHSDGHASDHFAHDGHG:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What crap!! What stupidity. It's like "What's wrong with you, you stupid ****ing computer?". It just quits. It's gone. No reason, no nothing.

HELP!!!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Maybe it disapproves of the things you are saying?

Maybe it doesn't like you?

Maybe it doesn't like being yelled at?

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

4. taytho macrumors 6502

wow..... this has really seemed to get you upset

5. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it's like "OKAY. WHAT'S THE DEAL?"

Like, what can be causing it? I reinstalled it using Pacifist, it didn't help. My computer will not run iChat anymore. It's over.

If someone has any ideas, before I call apple and yell at them, than let me know.

6. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Talk to your friends face to face?

But seriously, just use Adium or something.

And remember, never go to bed angry.

8. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wonderful. My Dual G4 Tower can't run iChat anymore. Lovely.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

[​IMG]

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Step 1 - Calm down - make sure you have the latest OS updates.
    Step 2 - Repair Permissions
    Step 3 - Reboot off of the DVD or CD and Repair Disk - if you don't know how to do this then when you reboot onto the DVD/CD go up to Utilities at the top (after you select English if its Mac OS X 10.4.0-x) and select Disk Utility. Choose Macintosh HD (or the name of your HDD) and click Repair Disk
    Step 4 - Go into your /Users/user_name/Library/Preferences folder and throw away these files:
    com.apple.iChat.plist
    com.apple.iChat.Aim.plist
    com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist
    com.apple.iChat.SubNet.plist
    com.apple.iChatAgent.plist

Step 5 - Erase Trash

Step 6 - Try iChat - if it works, congrats, if not, read-on

Step 7 (optional) - Download and run Onyx, execute Maintenence, cleaning, etc.

Step 8 (optional) - Create another account or use another account and try iChat

Step 9 (optional) - Open Terminal in Utilities, locate to iChat like so:
    cd /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/
    ./iChat

Report any errors

Step 10 (optional) - Reinstall OS X

11. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Ive had some issues like this before with Ichat & Safari... after trying many things, i just did an Archive and Install of OS X: Preserve the user settigns.
    It reinstalls everything from the Operating system but doesnt replace anything from your user directory or applications.
    I usually do this once every 6 months now just to start the apps over from scratch. Helps keep the operating system snappy! Plus it kind of forces me to keep good Backups of everything, just in case: which is always usefull!!!

12. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Ok this is a long shot - but did you remove the iChat folders from Library/Application Support ?

I remember something similar happened to me once when I was using the Tiger beta builds in sucession - can't remember what fixed it though.

13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Something similar happens with my iCal. It works perfectly, until I switch to week view. Then it just disappears, and doesn't even tell me why. It doesn't even say "ical quit unexpectedly".:mad:

But I still love Apple:)

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hate posts like this.

Cry me a river. And then go get Adium.

15. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Macs are not perfect, they are going to have problems. One thing is for sure, it doesn't crash as much as Windows does.

16. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Blah. Adium has no support for video or audio.

17. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Dude I am so sorry you are having a tuff time with iChat, I use it a lot, and never really had much trouble, but I have had other program go thought the same crash dump. All I did was wipe them clean of and real install and it then ok, the worst was safari doing the same, I had to wipe all and reinstall my hole system, but now that problem is long gone. Hope you find a fix. :)

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Don't reinstall OS X. Instead, try another account - if it works with it, it's your personal ichat settings that you'll have to nuke.

Or, from Utilities, open Console and check for any error messages when iChat disappears.

If that doesn't tell you anything, open up a Terminal window and type "cd /var/log". Check the directory listing before and after iChat disappears. Are any log files written to? Is there anything related to iChat in any?

Come back with the details.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

great post, really very helpful. :) I'd advise the OP to follow these steps and report back.

For those saying "just use adium..." well, that's really not an acceptable answer. I mean, I like adium much better than ichat, but that's not the point. The OP should be able to use ichat if he wants; just ignoring the problem and going to a new program isn't the right answer.

20. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Nooo!!! Don't jump!
    Wait...do I really mean that?...

21. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Not to be rude, but why is it that all of your posts are annoying? :confused:

Anyways, as others have said, calm down and get Adium. Seriously, who uses iChat? ;)

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Give him a break. It's really hard not to refer to some of his other threads (I've rewritten this four or five times), but he came here asking for a solution to a problem (albeit in the most annoying way possible) - let's focus on that.

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm afraid Macs suffer aren't enlightened and as such they suffer from tantrums every now and again.

How hot is it where you are? Computers (even un-overclocked ones) sometimes over heat and applications randomly quitting is one of the symptoms of an overheating cpu. Does it *ever* happen in programs other than iChat. Also, do you use a video camera, if its not an isight and as such you're using a usb bridge program, maybe that's causing the problems.

Failing that, try kissing it better, kissing macs is very underated.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While I agree in principle, it is difficult in this case, given the aforementioned threads and the tone of the PO's posts above.

However, I too am waiting to see the results of the implementation of the suggestions above.