I'm so sad!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Jul 8, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I'm at school and my powerbook was dropped. How much does that suck! There's like this nasty dent on a corner. Anyway, does the warranty cover it? I didn't think it would. Just making sure. Even if it doesn't I would like to get it fixed. Do you take it into an apple store? Does anyone have any idea how much it might cost?

2. m.r.m. macrumors regular

as far as i know neither the standard warranty nor the apple care ext. warranty cover drops. sorry.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Someone around here said their dent cost $300. I hope I'm wrong, though, for your sake.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you're willing to take the case apart yourself, and take the dented panel(s) to a jeweler, they may be able to punch the dent out and polish it, for cheaper than $300...

wouldn't hurt to call around, anyway...

paul

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Aside from the cosmetic damage, how about the internal stuff, like the hard drive? Was that damaged or anything else inside?

7. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope not. I'm using it now, and nothing seems wrong yet. I can't tell, I'm only using safari. I'm thinking since it turns on and safari works, it should be good. I'm really sad because I just got this computer no less than a month ago. And I want to fix it. :( So much money...

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    gosh i feel so bad for you. but i thing ur out of luck if you expect applecare to cover a drop. if you do get it fixed take out some insurance on it :)

9. nyassa3898 macrumors newbie

nyassa3898

one hope you may have would be if a local service center would fix it in house rather than dispatching it. once its dispatched yah your sol. In our shop we've done that a few times for our regular customers. Call some shops, its one option.

10. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Theres an apple store close by, so I'm going to go there tomorrow to check out the price. I hope its not too expensive though. What was that jewelery option? How would I do that?

11. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

hope!

My dad did the same to his 15 PB Aluminum....i'm almost positive he sent it to apple and the repaired it under the APP...Give it a shot, all my past experiences with apple have resuted in more than positive outcomes. (My friend dropped his first gen ipod..bought from ebay...no warranty...and apple sent him a new one. He did it again...they sent him a new one. So far, he's kept up to date on all the newest models by simply submitting to gravity!)

12. m.r.m. macrumors regular

because of people like that pal of yours, at some point people like you won't get the help they deserve. send it in and hope for the best.

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Apple could have easily decided not to help in his iPod situation. I wouldn't look at it so bitterly, m.r.m., rather as apple being great with customer service. Eh?

14. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

so are we voting that the repair is going to be around $300? Because, if its more than 200, I'm going to have to hammer it in or something. I dont have the money :(

15. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Oh, 'cmon, just get some tools from Home Depot, take the PB case apart and bang out the dent yourself. After you've done that, get a solder iron and weld a chain to the PB and hang it around your neck. Drop proof!

16. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Sucks about your powerbook! That reminds me of the good old days of plastic cases. I had a powerbook 233 (wallstreet) that was dropped by a friend of mind. It suffered no obvious ill effects on the outside. However, I later learned that the drop caused the hard drive to become a tiny bit unbalanced and it eventually failed spectacularly.

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

hahahhahaaha.... that's awesome.

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Your PB now, officialy, has 'character' !!! It's a custom... No other one quite like it in the world today... As long as it works, let it go... At first it'll drive you crazy every time you look at- but after awhile you won't even notice it...

19. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, but the lid doesn't even close all the way. its VERY annoying. I've only had this computer for 2 weeks. I'm soooo devastated!

20. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Yikes - how far did it drop?

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Ouch !!!... That's a shame... I hope it all works out for you....

22. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not far down, but because one little corner took all the blunt of it, it ruined that corner. This week sucked. I was so happy to finally get this computer too!

23. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Extreme solution

There have been reports on this site of those whose PBs have been run over by cars and continue to function.

You might try placing your machine on the street and rolling over it - slowly - with a small car. This would probably flatten out the tweaked corner and allow you to once again fully close the lid. :)

24. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

THATS SCARY! :eek:

25. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Of course, you should NEVER do that with a PC. :D