Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
I have been searching for the best IM software to replace MSN (cos its crap) but the best I can come up with is Fire (which is also pretty crap) any suggestions?
Also, is Viavoice 3.0 for OSX worth £80?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Fire is pretty crap? Say it ain't so... last time I used it it was awesome! But since I only use AIM, I didn't need all the other stuff, so when AIM for X came out I stopped using it. And maybe IBM finally got their act together, but my dad purchased ViaVoice 1.0 back when it first came out and it sucked eggs! And of course those jerks won't let us upgrade from that version so we would have to buy the full thing all over again. I wouldn't pay them a dime.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I don't know about any clients for MSN, but if you want to change over to AIM, Adium is a great chat client and one of the coolest Cocoa programs there is.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Adium rocks! It has to be in the top 5 apps ever....I use it everyday

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I am using the latest version of Fire and it's Scottish (from "If it's not Scottish, it CRAP!"). The ONLY time I had issues with it, is when I tried to use it with ICQ. Everything else runs just fine. I have it for AIM and Yahoo, but it also supports MSN along with a couple of others.

Since it's FREE, I'd say give it a twirl and a chance.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I use Proteus for IM's and I have to agree about ViaVoice pretty much nuzzling the naughty bits of leprous dingos. Hopefully iListen or some other app will light a fire under IBM's butt, because they've been doing Voice Recognition for ages (at least since OS/2 4.0) and ViaVoice (at least on the Mac) is not one bit better than their VoiceType was on a Petium 166, YEARS ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.