i'm SOOO super smart!

Discussion in 'Community' started by gwuMACaddict, Jan 26, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

anyone else notice that this forum has at LEAST 3 or 4 *different* threads going at any one time re: college help/college advice/college education/IQ/etc?

all of these threads just seem to degenerate in to members trying to make themselves feel better by over exagerating their wonderful smartness.

i have no doubt that all of us in here are smart. (thats why we all use macs instead of pc's, right?) but c'mon... do all of your egos *really* need to be massaged that much?

maybe we ought to just make it a sticky thread, mods? "brag about your smartness"

:p

2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I could care less weather or not people think I'm smart. Id rather people know my personality. And anyway, happiness is more important than intelligance.

PS: Its true, Mac forums have a higer average IQ than PC forums.

3. brap macrumors 68000

You've clearly never happened upon Macteens.

4. MP2 macrumors member

(referring to my thread) I'm not trying to 'inflate my ego'. I'm simply trying to gauge what college is like, and ask advice of as many people as a can. I see nothing wrong with that, and I find this thread somewhat rude.

:rolleyes:

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm so smart that I know EVERYTHING. That's right, EVERYTHING.

I just have difficulty remembering it all. :rolleyes:

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

lol :rolleyes:

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

College is fun, you don't have to be smart to go to college, just studious.

Yes there are some very elite colleges, but for most JCs in CA you only have to be 18 I think. From there you can go onto a UC or CSU, or just go to a private college.

Some people are snobby about their education, no different from people who are snobby about other things, they're always there and always annoying.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Si señor!

Well, when I was in high school, I got a 1600 on the SATs, and was a Nation merit scholar, and did model UN, and was the president of 16 clubs, and won outstanding member of our community award! I also had a 5.0 GPA and got 5s on all of my 15 APs, each of which I maintained a A++ average in all year long, never getting less than a 105% on any test or quiz! Aren't I just awesome! I guess my future is bright!

:D :D :D :D ;)

9. panphage macrumors 6502

I did great at school, tested out with a genius-level IQ...and I wait tables. So being smart ain't the whole thing. :D

10. The Past macrumors 6502

lol!!

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Edited for grammar, spelling, and usage. ;) ;) :p

(If you're going to make fun of psycho gunner losers, then at least do it right!)

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

spam from another thread-

Well my mensa dues have never been paid, or was it Menza?

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

here's a reality check, i just got accepted to the university of my choice and have been in zero clubs during high school and have done zero extra curricular... its all about gpa' my brotha's ;)

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I remember when I was younger and was in the former. :rolleyes: My only organization-related activity was to read the magazine they sent every month. It was very interesting, especially the letters to editors section. The only thing that really annoyed me was the subset of letters that went a little something like this:

"I am grossly unsuccessful in life, but it's not my fault. As you know, I am, we all are, incredibly intelligent people. I have faced misunderstanding and outright alienation on this basis. I didn't get the promotion because my boss knows he's smarter than me...

Give me a break! Congrats on knowing how to rotate an octagon in your head--Go get some skills in human interaction!

The $45 that neither my parents nor I are paying is money well saved.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Cuba, that's terrible advice. No offense, but the reality check is that you got lucky or picked a school where your grades just far outstripped the competition. Most competitive schools get tons of applicants with high GPAs and test scores and need something else to differentiate people. Anyway, universities are legitimately committed to picking up interesting individuals and, if they had to pick between someone who did nothing and got good grades and someone who did a lot and got good grades, they're going to go with the latter.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah well I have an IQ of 12" so there!

Oh wait, I'm mixing my internet exaggerations again...
    :p

AND I went to the WC the other day and it smelled like roses when I was done...

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Now THAT'S the accomplishment.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Harsh. I think I might just have to dig myself a hole. ;)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its great that you were in Mensa, but you're supposed to post this in one of the other threads, not this one. ;)

I didn't look in the recent college threads, but I hate it when people ask, "Hey guys, I have a perfect GPA and was the President of my high school. Am I smart enough to make it to University?"

20. sarae macrumors 6502

I don't really have a problem with it; there's always going to be questions about getting into/choosing a school because it's a big deal to some people, at a specific point of time. (And this is getting down to the college application deadline, and when some people start getting responses already.)

As for the IQ/whatever threads, I just think it's the basic ebb and flow of a forum - sometimes you have a bunch of threads about one topic, and a week later they'll be buried and there'll be a number of other threads with similar topics.

I really doubt that anyone is trying to toot their own horn.

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hahaha, my point really really was that these organizations are silly. I'm actually somewhat embarrassed that I was in Mensa, but I was twelve and we all make mistakes, especially our over-zealous parental units. ;)

My point is that a number on a piece of paper derived from an inherently inaccurate test isn't as important as generally being clever, charismatic, conscientious, and caring.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Which, in turn, aren't as important (in terms of success) as being rich and/or powerful and/or really attractive. ;)

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It aint the smartz, its how you play the game.

I used to be a multi-millionaire, then the turks loped off 6 zeros in a revaluation and now I am another schmo. :D

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm in the same boat, minus the "used to be a multi-millionaire" part. ;)

25. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I know you're kidding, but it's a matter of what you define as success. If you want to do something personally satisfying and valuable to society, you don't have to be rich or powerful or really attractive. And while those three things are nice, the first two are things that can be achieved with the skill set I suggested. Nothing's really going to make someone very attractive who isn't, but with a little luck and a some savvy & smarts, you can become rich and powerful.

Plus, I don't think I'd enjoy inherited riches or power as much as I would enjoy that which I earned. A lot of the personal satisfaction of success is knowing that the things you did and the decisions you made played a large part in the gains you made.