I'm starting a new thread...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by eyelikeart, Jan 8, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

After MWSF, there seems to be an endless supply of negativity & pessimism circulating these forums....

so I'm starting a new thread dedicated to positive & creative thoughts...and hopefully stay that way...

2. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Chip comparisons

Are there any third party studies running Linux Apps to determine comparative average flop ratings between Apple, AMD, Intel, etc. with several types of computation used to allow for a real, un-biased average score? It'd settle a lot of bets to try something like that cuz it's basically platform independant.

4. SomeAppleGuy macrumors member

It really would not solve much. The average computer user does not understand or even care about bench marking or testing. We are a numbers society, with the exception of GOLF the higher number wins. Example, I have explained to my mother many times why Macs are faster and she consistently askes me the same questions. "tell me again why your mac is faster? is it because of the mega bytes?" She does not care and niether do most computer users.

Speed is relevant on many factors, but some clever advertising has dubbed Processor MHZ as the largest factor and that is what your average computer user looks for. People want bragging Rights. They feel good when they tell their neighbor their computer runs at 2 GIGAHERTZ. They have no idea what that means and neither does their neighbor whos says "but mins only 800mhz".

The PC world says the faster the processor the faster the computer.
    Apple has given us the "MegaHertz Myth" speach time and time again

But the average computer user is not going to understand or beleive the difference. Try convincing your grandparents that your new Turbo Charged 4 cyl engine is faster than their old V8, they won't understand until you take them to the track and kick their ass.

Personally, I think Apple just needs some more aggressive advertising.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Correct

Yes, the average user doesn't care. However, if we can be clear on how it all works than we can speak in common terms. As it is, there is no real day at the track. Each company does it's own testing with whichever Apps they know run best on THEIR hardware. I want to settle the curiosity of those who DO know what it all means because, much as I hate saying this: This IS a society with several Intelectual Ellites. One of those Elite groups is Geeks. If WE have no real comparisons, how can we expect to have ANY authority when answering questions from those who rely on US. We need to take responsability for our place as Authorities on Information Technology. The only way to get that clarity is to test systems with the closest thing we can find to a universal OS (Linux) and run EXACTLY THE SAME tests, of several differing types to determine performance. The systems should be set up with similar (identical where possible) configs and run for several benchmarks. We should work out some "handicaps" to compensate for DDR and the like to isolate components for break-out comparisons of parts with "stock" configs in similar price-points as control groups.

6. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

is this it?

I'm disappointed...

I thought for sure I'd get more responses than this...

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

cheap shots

maybe there should be a rule against posting the same reply in every thread? I've seen this iboing crap in almost every thread I've been to in the last 20 mins...

9. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Why create a handicap to account for DDR?

I mean, its part of apples choice not to market it with their products. Something to consider. Its not an option, so leave it be. Why they havent changed... only they know.

10. oldMac macrumors 6502a

I like it

I like it. It's cube meets iMac. I probably won't buy one because I need more screen real estate. Also I wish it were a bit cheaper on the low end.

On the bright side, I suspect that they will come out with a 17" version after the new towers ship (which I suspect will be Apollos around the end of March).

I also hope that they keep the iMac classic around for a while, up it to 1GHz and make it really cheap. They need to keep a product that fills that niche.

Think iMac Classic = 1Ghz, 256MB, 40GB, available in June for $699.

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

DDR was an example.

Read the whole post: handicapping was to isolate the performance of individual components by eliminating as many variables as possible.

12. networkman macrumors regular

imac made the cover of time magazine and this rag of pop journalism may be the only place in print potential new users will ever hear of the new machine

i don't mind the story was opened the day before mwsf...i am sure it was steve's idea (acutally, the board's idea since no real corporation these days moves on just the whim of just the ceo on matters this big)

kudos to time and they will help launch new imac sales for sure with "flat out cool"

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I wonder.......

Could anyone convince Apple to liscence out the specs on the new case to allow designer domes? Leopardprint, leather,pure chrome,whatever.