I'm stuck in Columbus Ohio for 7 hours!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, it almost was a disaster, and can be at any moment, since there are no internet connection in the whole friggin airport. But I just found this abandonned booth for Group events that had a land line with DHCP running!!!!!

WooHoo!!!

I just felt like sharing. I'm behind the counter and already I've been asked questions. This should be fun until someone figures it out. :D

D

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

haha duke....welcome to the midwest enjoy your stay ....

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just can't believe that there wasn't public access to the net in the whole airport. In BWI they have wireless at all the gates.

This will work for now, lets me get my email and pass a little time.

I went to OSU, so I'm familliar with the area - its a shame I don't have a car, otherwise I'd go do a tour of some old haunts. And none of my old friends live here any more. :(

D

4. iGav macrumors G3

Imposter!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :p

So what's Columbus, Ohio like?? and what are you doing there??

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its work related - I had to go out to NetJets (a private/corporate airline company) and assist in validating a 3D model of one of their aircraft that we'll be working on in September. That's why I'm at the airport - they have their facility here as well and the other members of the team were from Honeywell out of Phoenix - so I'm sort of out of luck.

Been asked half a dozen questions so far, its quite silly. Might have someone take a pic for me and I'll post it. :D

D

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That reminds me of one time that I was trapped in a whore house for about 7 hours ;)

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, but at least your scenery was better.....having confused travellers come up and ask me where their bags are or where they can find Lot B is something else again.

D :D

8. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p I wish Heathrow had that feeling!! :eek: :eek: :p

Duke, man... you're being an imposter at an airport giving people cranky information... :p :p :p careful or you'll make CNN!! heh-heh!!

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, they haven't figured out the internet connection yet, no 'officials' have come over and asked what I'm doing - but a phone locked in a cabinet ran 10 minutes ago. So maybe I'll be figured out, but its fun while it lasts.

Also the fact that this is Columbus and the midwest. I wouldn't be able to do this in DC. :D

D

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats true, you should give wrong directions on purpose the hour before you go, then when confused people come back you'll be gone....

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Problem is, I'm thinking of staying here for a bit ;) It is the only interenet connection at Port Columbus that I'd have access to and with the time on my hands, well...;)

I did give out directions to an elderly couple and it was obviously the wrong way - I saw them walk by again with the same confused look, going in the opposite direction :D

D

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Take advantage of this, tell anyone who asks the most absurd answers you can think of to their questions.

If someone asks about a flight tell them their flight has been cancelled and that they need to speak to the nearest gate agent. That could create some drama.

Too bad you don't have a camcorder...

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That would be more fun if I wasn't here alone to enjoy it. Also, I don't want to get noticed by anyone, really. If I mind my own business and help as I can, then I get to stay on line and pass the time comfortably as opposed to sitting at a gate in one of those painful airport seats ;)

I'll post a pic soon.

D

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

If anyone asks, tell them u are a janitor...it'll really confuse 'em... ;)

and B2TM...whorehouse?! :eek:

15. evil macrumors 6502

because of greyhound ive been stuck in cleveland and buffalo for a few/many hours each.
    and i iddnt have the internet to kill time.

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Vegas. It was quite a trip. ;)

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

was the wifi access at BWI free?

i was in Newark a while back... my PB found the network but i would have had to pay for it.

18. yzeater macrumors regular

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I was staying at a hotel this last weekend, and I was bummed that they didn't have high speed internet, but my brother's iBook was picking up a wireless signal, so I went out into the lobby (my room opened right up to the lobby), and lo and behold, I had an internet connection. It was just an unsecured wireless network coming from a door with an "office" sign on it, but it was internet, nonetheless. I did get some funny looks from hotel employees, though...

20. iGav macrumors G3

So Duke... you an honoury employee yet?? heh-heh-heh!!!

21. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Someone in the area better get a local TV-Station to send a team there... would make for a funny movie :)

"Un-wired airport makes outnerved hacker open imposter helpdesk"

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear of the problems that occured for you at the Columbus airport. Ohio is my native state, I'm a Buckeye. Please don't be too angry.

Acting like you know what you are doing always seems to work. Glad that you were able to connect to save your sanity.

Will look forward to your pictures! ;)

23. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

That is too funny Mr A! Heh, were you tempted to drop down the go menu and click on Connect to server to see what you could see?

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hahaha! Yep, I looked at the servers and other machines - but none of them were macs, all pcs.....and one of them was airport security:eek:

So I would have stayed on longer, but my harddrive on my TiPB started acting up. I need to replace it I think.

It was fun, and I'll try and see if its still available next time I pass through. Never did get a pic, sorry.

And BWI's wireless was pay, but at $3 first 20 minutes and 15¢ each additional minute, I connected anyway. I wasn't on for that long and can charge it to work. :D

D

25. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

you didn't happen to book some round trip tickets for us all to go to Apple Expo Paris while you were there, did you? That would have helped a little ;)