i'm switching.... again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoestring, Jan 24, 2007.

1. shoestring macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    Screaming it from the top of a mountain
    Hi. Long time listener, first time caller. I just ordered a MacBook. I owned a TiBook 667 back in the day, but had to sell it because I was a broke ass student. I've been living back in PC land again since then and I thought I didn't need a Mac. Well, in reality, I really don't, but I want one really bad.

I'm checking FedEx tracking several times a day in hopes that my precious will be closer to me than it was before. It's en route from Sacramento as I type.

I'm sure you're all dying to know what I got (ok, maybe you don't care) so here it is.

Refurb White MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo
    512MB ram
    60gb HD

Wow! Whoever thought Apple notebooks could be so cheap. Oh wait.. it's pretty stripped down. Off I go to OtherWorld and scrounge up some new goodies.
    Hitachi Travelstar 100GB 7200RPM drive ought to fit nicely.
    1GB RAM to light a fire under this thing's ass. Well, that is, if the cpu doesn't get to hot first.

So there you have it. I'm waiting for that thing to arrive on Friday. I've already scheduled the day to "work" *ahem* at home so I can meet the FedEx guy, give him a big hug, sign the package, and then kick him to the curb so geekery can begin.

Now for the Q&A portion of this post:
    Are there any other Apple specific wireless keyboards besides the Apple Pro Bluetooth? I don't own a usb keyboard, so I figured I might as well go wireless. Bluetooth is not mandatory, RF will be fine.

I think that's the only question I have now. I'm sure I'll have a ton Friday when I get to open the box.
  2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    Congratulations on your new purchase. Isn’t BT standard on this machine?
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    This is a personal preference but you will probably benefit more from upping the RAM than in buying an external keyboard. Congrat's on your purchase. It's a fine machine.
  4. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    Logitech make keyboards with the apple logos on the buttons. Other companies do too if you look around.
  5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    I think he is already getting the ram
  6. iSee macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    Congratulations! :D That's how I felt when I was getting my MBP!

I don't have any specific recommendations for a keyboard, but I've gotten decent Mac periphrials from Macally and Logitech before. I think I heard that Microsoft :)eek: ) recently made a Mac keyboard but I don't know if it is wireless (ok, it's MS, but I like my MS mouse so maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt)

Also, I'd ask some people who use wireless keyboards if they like them. They sound great, but I wonder if the battery issue makes them more trouble than they are worth? I guess it's much less of an issue with a laptop because you always have a backup keyboard handy.
  7. shoestring thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    Good point. I probably won't be hauling the keyboard around with me, just using it at home. I may just grab a USB jobber with some extra ports on it to use as a hub. The iKey slim from Macally is nice and the price is good too :)

Thanks for the recommendation!
  8. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I've had my Apple Bluetooth keyboard at home for three months now, and it still has a 75% charge. Mouse still reads as full. I just turn it off when I'm asleep or at work, so it lasts quite a while. Not really a big deal if you ask me.
  9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    My mouse batteries run out a lot quicker than my keyboard's. Anyway, buy rechargeables.
  10. lgelosi macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2006
    Berlin (Germany)
    My mouse batteries generally run out in no more than two weeks, and I always switch it off when I don't use it... Of course rechargeables...
    Anyway, sometimes I feel like it is too much...
  11. aljlin macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
  12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    Good to hear you're getting a Mac again! Hopefully, the ability to post while using a good OS will inspire you to keep "calling in" :eek: .
  13. zblaxberg Guest

Jan 22, 2007
    I have a wireless logitech with these icons (mouse and keyboard) works amazing and it was only $20 refurbished off of ebay...totally worth it cuz I've had it for about 3 years and not a single problem...Batteries take a long time to wear out and I use the computer like 4 hours a day...Definitely get it refurbished and maybe you'll have some extra money to get maybe 2gb of ram or a nice protective case for your precious
  14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Just wondering why you opted for the MacBook you got over this one?

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1280 x 800 resolution
    1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
    80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Learn More
    • Save 16% off the original price

Original price: $1,299.00
    Your price: $1,099.00

I'm mean, if you got the above model instead you wouldn't have needed to buy the extra RAM and larger HDD separately. Or was it cheaper to go your route? Just wondering..... :confused:
  15. shoestring thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    The premium is definitely in the 7200rpm hard drive. I think my choice was only $40 more after shipping + taxes. I really wanted more HD space as opposed to the upgrade in processor. Thinking back, I'm not entirely sure that option was on the refurb site when I placed the order. I had seen it before, but I don't think it was there when I was ready to buy. And yes, I'm an impatient bastard :)