Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
Hector said:
i'm in the same boat, but i'm not ordering one yet, i'm going to pick one up at the london apple store

this 600MHz ibook is still going strong

I had an 800mhz iBook G4 (recently departed to the sea of eBay), and from the day I got it, I don't think I would say it was ever "going strong" ;) I have a Dual G4 450mhz tower that is faster than that ever was. It was very reliable, a great computer, and never ever crashed, but it was no "screamer" :p . I can only attribute the speed difference to the built in process sharing of OS X with the dual processor. I have a sneaking suspicion us never before G5 owners are going to by super happy with the speed, even in rosetta, of our newly acquired MBPs - bahhh can't wait anymore, I've been waiting for years for this thing ;)

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
boombashi said:
... I have a sneaking suspicion us never before G5 owners are going to by super happy with the speed, even in rosetta, of our newly acquired MBPs - bahhh can't wait anymore, I've been waiting for years for this thing ;)

I agree. Everytime I read something about someone not being impressed the the duos it is because they are running applications under Rosetta and then comparing it to a G5. I've got a 1GHz PB and it is slooooooooooooow. So for me the MBP (maybe even under Rosetta) will be "screaming".

I've waited 2 years now for this machine and then Apple make me wait another 6 weeks...how unfair is that! ;)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm actively trying to forget about it or mentally justifying the wait with being able to read through O'Reilly's The Missing Manual for Mac OS X Tiger Edition.

That and I'm still trying to decide on a bag for the thing. currently I'm eyeing WaterField's Cargo Mambo Combo bags. Then there is trying to figure out how to migrate my iTunes music over to the MacBook. I found out the Apple geniuses aren't all that smart when it comes to how to migrate iTunes from Windows to OS X. They couldn't tell me if I could migrate the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl and if it would "just work" nor could they tell me if I could go into the xml file and move the pathings of music files outside the iTunes folder and point it to the location on the MacBook. The problem being that on my desktop I have the following drives for music
D:\My Music\MP3 <--- All MP3's in there
D:\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music <-- All AAC files in there.

Dropping the iTunes Music folder into the iTunes Music folder on the MacBook should work. But there is the problem of what to do with the MP3 folder.
Thankfully I only have a couple hundred MP3's but its going to suck if I have to rate everything from scratch. :(

Anyways I have a bit of work ahead of me so there is more then enough to do to take my mind off the hardware itself. However I'm going to be pissed as hell if the date changes from Feb 15th to something later. There is rumors of serious MacBook shortages. I doubt just because I ordered mine 5 minutes after Jobs's keynote doesn't mean that I'm going to get mine before someone who ordered theirs a day later.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
T-Stex said:
Anyone else go to the Apple website and check the pictures/reports of the MacBook Pro even though you've seen them all ten times already?

LOL I thought I was the only one! I guess not. I also check the order status to see if the estimated ship date changes.

Im hoping to sell my iMac G5 (maybe on ebay or something) to put some of that money towards the MBP.

Other than that, I'm just waiting and counting the days in my countdown day widget.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Make's you wish Apple would do a hard launch with the MBP like they did with the iMac and the iPod nano. Imagine if you could have walked into an Apple store the day after they were announced and buy a standard model.

Actually don't imagine that or you'll get depressed :). I hate even waiting 3 days for something if it's ordered. However i'm not buying an Intel Apple until i can boot and run windows on it.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
cal6n said:
This should enlighten you! :cool:

Yah I saw that article while browsing Apple's support pages and forums.

Doesn't really resolve many of my questions.

-I don't want to consolidate my library so I'm not going to select that option. I like keeping the MP3's out of my AAC stuff because I've been slowly replacing the MP3's as I purchase or "find" the tracks.
-I'm going to do a gb crossover cable and transfer the files that way. (Plus I'd have to delete everything on my 60Gb iPod to get the music to fit anyways since I only have 11GB free.

What I did get off the article was that I can at the very least move the xml and itl files are compatible (I didn't see that the first time because I was skimming so thanks.)

The real question I need answered is if there is any way of editing the xml and itl files to point to the new location for my MP3 folder. My guess is no. So I'm prob going to have to delete all the MP3 files in itunes and readd the folder. . . prob under the iTunes Music folder. :( Its not a deal killer in any way just a PITA.

Bitteroot

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
SiliconAddict said:
I'm actively trying to forget about it or mentally justifying the wait with being able to read through O'Reilly's The Missing Manual for Mac OS X Tiger Edition.

That and I'm still trying to decide on a bag for the thing. currently I'm eyeing WaterField's Cargo Mambo Combo bags.

As a quick sidenote, A friend bought a sleeve for his 12"PB from WaterField and has said noting but good things. I received my MacBook Pro sleeve from WF the other day. The Sleeve I purchased looks like it will offer great protection and the folks at WF could not have been provided better customer service.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
When i got my Mini i just plugged it into my iBook via firewire and let the apple wizard copy everything across. Why not let it do it that way? Unless you don't want to have everything go across.

The way i do it on the PC is to copy the itunes folder from one computer to another, putting it where it should be. As long as all your songs seem to be where they should be then iTunes should work perfectly. I.E. if your AAC's are in iTunes folder and your MP3's are in "your music folder"\MP3 and you put them in the same folder on the new computer everything should work.

Also there is an import and export function in iTunes but i've never used this.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Speed...

As for the comment that non-G5 owners will be happy? Well, if reports are true, and Rosetta runs apps at the equivalent of 1/2 the Intel's processor speed, I'll be happy. I'm running an 867MHz 12" PowerBook G4 as my 'main' machine now. That means that for PPC apps, I'll be a little faster, and for native Intel apps, I'll be WAY faster.

Let's see:
Processor: Two procs, each 2.1 times as fast as the single I have now: 4.2x total. (867 MHz -> 2x1.83 GHz)
Cache: Eight times the cache (256 KB -> 2 MB,) again, running at 2.1 times the current speed. (867 MHz -> 1.83 GHz)
Processor bus: Five times as fast. (133 MHz -> 667 MHz)
Memory: A little over three times the amount (640MB -> 2 GB,) running at 5 times the speed (266 MHz DDR -> dual-channel 667 MHz DDR-2)
Hard Disk: Two and a half times the capacity (40 GB -> 100 GB,) at 1.7 times the spindle speed (4200 RPM -> 7200 RPM,) with four times the cache (2 MB -> 8 MB) (total throughput should be more than double.)

Yeah, I should see a major improvement.

Oh, and the only non-native apps I ever use on my notebook are MS Office v.X, AppleWorks, iWork '05 (don't see a need to upgrade,) and the occasional downloaded free game. (Google for Spinvaders, an addictive take on Space Invaders.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.