I'm torn and I need advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by baravelli, Mar 29, 2004.

1. baravelli macrumors newbie

I posted earlier along the same lines, but I didn't get much of a response, so I'll make it simple:
    Should I get a 15" or 17" powerbook?
    I need it to run a music sequencer, like Digital Performer or Logic, but portability is a factor. I'd like to be able to carry it around so I can set up a studio anywhere, and also, y'know, to be able to enjoy the general go-anywhere-ness of a laptop. But, I wonder on the other hand whether that big beautiful screen will come in handy when I've got a couple dozen tracks and a video window to look at. Or, maybe the 15" screen is big enough (it's no slouch), and I should go for the more streamlined and svelte option.
    Is there anybody out there who has any experience with these kind of applications, or something like them, and can help me practically weigh the screen real estate/portability debate? Thanks very much.

2. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

No experience of the applications that you mention, bit if portability and screen real estate are required.... have you concidered getting the 15 and an extra display, that way when you are at home you get more screen, and yet it is still V.easy to carry around.

If you still need the screen space while on the go, I guess it has to be the 17 and a really good rucksack.

3. baravelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out - whether I really will need the screen space when I'm on the go. Right now, I'm doing the same things I'll be doing on the Powerbook on a regular 1024x768 monitor, and I don't really feel like I'm too cramped, so maybe that answers my own question. I guess I just want to know if I'll appreciate the extra space once I have it more than I'll appreciate the incremental ease of portability of the 15".
    I don't think I want to resort to additional monitors here, because honestly, I don't need *that* much space, and also because I feel like that would defeat the purpose of having a laptop.

4. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

It really sounds like you've answered your own questions there.... The 15 gives you the portability you need along with enough screen space. More isn't always better... just look at the 12 and 14 inch iBooks!

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

All the PowerBooks are beautiful and suitable machines! I love the portablility of my 12" PB and have had no problems video editing Final Cut Express on its 1024x768 screen, but now I have just had a chance to hook up our new Dell's modest 1280x1024 17" CRT to my 12" and I love the extra screen space (dual displays of course). I can imagine that when you get used to the larger screen, it's harder to go back to a smaller one.

I've heard that people still lug their 17" PBs to lectures, etc (for the students that can afford them :p ) but I'd reckon you'd be fine with a 15" PB 1.25 GHz, then maybe get another monitor if you feel like it. But wait, do I hear the sound of updates soon? (or just the sound of the Mac hopefuls ;) )

6. dudeami macrumors regular

It is hard to say since everyone has different tolerance levels. I would think that it would be difficult to use the 17" to work on multiple documents at the same time, so 15" will probably serve your purpose, since you mentioned that you don't really need the space. With expose, it is very simple to switch back and forth between multiple doc's and apps anyway, so I wouldn't by a 17" inch just for that.

As was mentioned before, I would probably wiat a couple of weeks if possible to purchase one. Rumors have it that shortages of almost all Macs are coming, another sign that upgrades may be around the corner. Its hard to tell. If you really need a new computer now, then do what you need to. You could get caught in the waiting game, but I think updates are coming soon.

7. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Have you actually gone to a store and played on both? In the end, all our advice is no match to actually laying hands on these beauties. Most of the folk I know who have and adore their powerbooks got them because they walked into the store and fell in love. They maybe have gone in thinking they'd be buying a 15", then saw the 12" and thought it was the most adorable little laptop and that was the one. Didn't matter if it didn't have a backlit keyboard or only 1gig processer, they couldn't keep their eyes off it. They had to have it. Or they may have gone in thinking a nice 14" iBook, but then were arrested by the sight of that 15", and that was the one they just HAD to have.

Not that there's anything wrong with getting an idea of how these powerbooks are, how people like them as they haul them about in their day-to-day lives...but nothing will tell you which you must, absolutely MUST have and cannot live without until you see, and touch and play on them.

All three are beautiful. All three are portable--though certainly the 17" is going to cause you some problems there. It won't fit on an airline tray table, it will take up all the space on the little Starbucks tables, it will weigh a bit more and take a little more effort to haul around. But if you go into an Apple Store and it's the one you love, then its the one you love. And if the 15" is the one, then that's the one. Take 'em for a spin and see which one is really yours.

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

if your not a neo-trendy dork who hangs out at Starbucks or uses a fag bag instead of a backpack, then get the 17".

i used a 15 for over a year and then replaced it with a 17... and i love it!

im an audio/visual designer who uses it as a desktop and a live stage machine. i have yet to run into a situation where i can't use it... though i don't do much flying so that has never been a concern.

plus i will get you laid.

peace.

9. crowdaddy macrumors regular

I am debating getting a 15 or 17 too...first i was oh man i want a desktop, now im convinced as a student i need the portabilitiy of a laptop. The 17" is absolutley gorgeous...but, do you guys think it is practical for a student who would use it for all the internet stuff, DVD's, gaming, tinkering with iLife...?

10. baravelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, thirteen, and everyone else. I did go into an Apple store today to play on the Powerbooks and heft them up and down, and, idunno, I didn't hear an angels' choir when I stepped in front of either of them. But, I'm starting to lean heavily towards the 15". Considering, as I said above, that my sequencing screen-space needs seem to be met on my current 1024x768 monitor, I think the 15-incher's 1280x854 will probably be plenty. Plus, I've never had a laptop before, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my lifestyle. I haven't had the opportunity to be one before, but who knows, maybe I am a "neo-trendy dork!" At least, I think I'd like the chance to be one.
    What I want now is for someone to respond and tell me that I'm absolutely right, and I'll love my 15" and never look back. Anybody?

11. iMook macrumors regular

Erm... what's the PC name for a "fag bag"?

:D You'll get him laid? :p

Baravelli: You'll love the 15". Personally, I think the 17" is overkill for a non-desktop-replacement.

12. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

No Regrets, HONEST!

You ARE going to love it and you will never look back. If this is your first laptop, then I agree, 17" is overkill--and why add more weight to your shoulders (6.9 pounds as compared to the 15" 5.6 pounds)? You're going to be VERY happy with a 15"--they're beautiful, their screens are beautiful, their keyboards are beautiful, their performance is beautiful--and there are more cool computer bags made for them.

And you'll probably get laid as well. No kidding. That glowing white apple on the back is rather like a becon that lures strangers over to ooh and aww over the laptop. Often very good looking strangers. Powerbooks are a great way to strike up a conversation.

Let us know when you finally get your new 15"--and how you like it as you put it through its paces. Honestly. The only regret you will have is that you didn't buy one sooner.

13. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i guess i could get someone laid... ? why not? :p

edit: reatardation

15. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

If you do fly, use exit rows, they are good for many reasons...especially in coach!

16. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I had the same dilema. Of ocurse, I had no real need for the bigger screen, aside from greed. I got the 17 and it's the coolest thing. I just giggle like a little girl sometimes when I open it up.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My lucky bastard of a brother had a newish 15" for work which got upgraded almost immediately to a 17". Yeah, it's a tough life - but he switched back. He loved the 17" but it was too big to travel with. You can't always guarantee exit row seats, the packs that carry it are bigger, the battery life was less....

He really misses the screen, but is more than happy with the 15" and its substantially smaller size and near parity i.t.o. performance.

18. Opteron macrumors 6502

15", If you were to buy a 17", you'd be better off buying a desktop.

19. baravelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I did it, and here it is, and it's gorgeous!
    I'm writing this now on my lap with my feet up on my coffee table, watching Friends, feeling like quite the neo-trendy dork indeed! And it feels so good!
    I got the 15", and what it is is svelte. It is just the sexiest thing. And the screen seems to be more than adequate. I am so very pleased. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Now, if anyone has any help to offer with networking the PB with my PC desktop...
    Or, is there any way to synchronize my email from Microsoft Outlook on the PC with Apple Mail?
    Thanks!

P.S.
    I'm going to take my new baby up to San Francisco with me next week to visit my girlfriend, and I keenly anticipate that it will indeed get me laid...