I'm torn, let the MR faithful decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Veritas&Equitas, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Alright, I've got to decide between a MB and a MBP with the following specs:

MB - 2.0 ghz, 60 gb, 2 gb memory, GMA150, Superdrive for $1200
    MBP - 1.83 ghz, 80 gb, 1.5 gb memory, 128 vram, Superdrive for $1400

What way would you sway?

Now, I've got a gaming computer (PC), and have a Powerbook 1.5 ghz/1.5gb memory, but I'm looking for a similar Mac to use for basic tasks, yet maybe enough for decent photoshopping or FCP or even game some (I know pretty much can't with MB).

Yet I don't know if the 128 mb vram on the MBP is powerful enough to push Battlefield 2 at any decent settings or not? If it is, I'd really consider it strongly...yet, I love the simple elegance of the MB...any ideas regarding those two machines/the better deal?

P.S. I know I could be waiting on updated MBP's for a week, or until Spring, I'm just sick of waiting. Plus, I'd think they'd up the MBP to Merom before the MB, but you never know?

P.P.S. Thanks Suneohair :), I pressed enter by accident and it just posted that. Also, I'm a law student, so money is of some importance, but not a deal breaker.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Sounds great. Go fot it! :D

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

Depends on what you need it for...

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Go for the MacBook unless you need the screen size or express slot. :)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

It would help to know what you're going to be using the computer for.

Do you want the dedicated video? Extra screen real estate? Is portability more important? Does the glossy screen bother you, or do you like it? Is $200 a lot to you, or does the price difference not matter?

6. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, I edited what I needed, any ideas now that I finally got to edit my post? :eek:

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Go for the MBP! How often do you upgrade? It's more professional looking, which could be useful when you graduate.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You have the Powerbook for carrying, and your list didn't mention portability as a need for the new machine.

iMac 20" or iMac 24" Core2Duo

These are going to smoke the laptops for processing power, hard drive speed and capacity, and screen realestate. I couldn't use Adobe graphic apps on a 13 - 15" screen.

9. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I appreciate the responses! Actually, CanadaRAM, I do need this guy for portability...it's what I will be using in class, moot court, library, etc. so I will need a portable. Demon Hunter, where are you in MN? Gosh darnit, I really can't make up my mind, and my hand is ready to write the check this instant! Has anyone used both? And for the needs I stated earlier, what one would you go with? Thanks again for everyone's help!

P.S. CanadaRAM, I'm selling the PB to fund this purchase :)

10. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

128MB vram runs Battlefield 2 fine, however one of your settings (usually the most vram intensive setting like model detail) needs to be medium. Most of the others can be high.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

I will take a 2.0Ghz refurb MBP for $200 more.

12. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

But without the extra gb of memory, and the knowledge that that the current one works perfectly? I don't know, hitting up another $200 strictly for a refurb with a gb less memory and .17 ghz increase seems sort of questionable to me?

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I live in downtown Minneapolis. :)

Which keyboard do you prefer? You'll be doing a lot of typing... there's no comparison between the MB and PB/MBP keyboard.

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

Well my Mac Mini has a 1.83Ghz processor for only 800 bucks, so it is kinda a psychological thing :rolleyes:

15. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Nice, I'm rockin' the suburbs (yes, Ben Folds reference). Anyways, I've been into the Ridgedale Apple Store, typed on the Macbook some. The keys seem alright, but maybe take a little while to get used to? I've been used to the Powerbook keys, but I don't really know how big of a difference it really is? The keyboard is probably one of the smallest factors weighing in my decision I guess, it's mostly a matter of performance benefit (1.83 mbp/1.5 gb vs. 2.0 mb/2 gb difference? what's faster?) and sexiness factor. Yeah, I did just say that. I'm sorry, but I'm a sucker for electronic sex appeal...I guess as are all Mac fans? ;)

16. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

MBP - 1.83 ghz, 80 gb, 1.5 gb memory, 128 vram, Superdrive for $1400
    That's the real sexy.:)

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If your doing any regular rendering, you'll appreciate the dedicated VRAM in the MBP
    and the extra real estate.

Are you going for the matte screen for Photoshop?

If you're planning to run XP or Vista, I'd go for a 100 GB HD to handle the extra
    partition and max it out to 2GB RAM.

Or suffer a bit longer.

18. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Thanks for the help guys, considering that I'll probably be using Vista, I think I'll just suffer with my Powerbook through the winter and hopefully buy a new MBP with Santa Rosa & Leopard in the Spring, along with Vista...but man, I'll be waiting awhile! :(

19. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I thought we were going to decide.

Haha, good luck

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you already have a machine running OSX Tiger and it's getting the job done
    at a reasonable level, it's better not to rush.

Save up your ducketts for Santa Rosa or Penryn.

21. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

MacBook - better deal. You already stated that you have a gaming PC and want a laptop for basic tasks...MacBook...enjoy.

22. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well just to add my two cents...

I bought an MBP a few months back. Fabulous machine. No problems.

However, it wasn't quite as portable as I wanted so I sold it and bought a black MacBook. Very happy. A bit smaller and it just feels much more robust. The Macbook Pro looks lovely but the metal COULD bend and buckle when it gets bumped. The MB just seems like it would take a few more knocks. I love the glossy screens anyway and I got it for 130 pounds less than Apple are asking by combining a couple of discounts.

As everyone else has said, it depends on your needs but the gap between the Macbook and the MBP are not as big as they were between the iBook and Powerbook.

23. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I would go for the MacBook Pro, because of the aluminum chassis and 128MB video card, as it also has the express slot as katie ta achoo mentioned. You can always upgrade the RAM and HD later, not so with the screen resolution and video card. The slower CPU really won't matter all that much as it's a portable machine. The potential of running a 30" ACD off the MBP makes me drool. :)

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, the MBP with Sata Rosa and Leopard will probably be out long before a stable version of Vista is. Seriously, unless you have a huge investment in Windows application software, I hope you give some thought to going native OS/X.

25. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually, I really like Vista RC2, and feel that it's quite a step in the right direction. Also, XP has been quite stable for me the past 5 years, especially since SP2. Simply dl a free av like AVG, and it's been gravy.

I can't go native to OSX though, I simply game too much :D , and the performance/benefit I can get from building my own gaming PC is MUCH cheaper than buying a "gaming" Apple computer.

P.S. There are those that would argue their MBP or MB have been anything but "stable"...just search the forums...it's littered with them ;)