I'm Torn

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bornblind, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. macrumors regular

    bornblind

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #1
    So, I just sold my Late 2008 MBP Unibody on Craigslist and picked up a open box 13" i5 128GB Macbook Air from Best Buy. This machine is my only computer. I know what the buyers guide says on the Air.

    I'm just wondering if I jumped the gun on the Air. I know we don't know when or what the new "slimmer Pro" or "new Air" will bring soon. My question is what would you do?

    Return the Air and try to wait for the new slim pro or new air or just keep what I have?

    I went with the air for the battery life and form factor. The only thing that hurts me is no Firewire 800 and the SSD size. I can work around these two but would use Firewire if I had it for external drives.

    Just looking for opinions. As the title says, "I'm Torn"

    Thanks in advance for your input.
     
  2. macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    Here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, just buy what you need, when you need it, and never look back. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
     
  3. macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #3
    If it's your only computer then I suggest staying put.

    When other things are updated you can decide if you want to sell and buy again, but at least you'll be making that choice based on facts rather than speculation.

    What if you try and go without a machine and it ends up being 6-8 weeks and then it's only a minor update? Best to stick with what works until you have a better option right in front of you.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

    bornblind

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #4
    Thanks, not trying chase. Hence just sold my 2008 MBP.
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    Beanoir

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    Location:
    51 degrees North
    #5
    if it's your only computer and it's not working for you as you need it to then take it back and replace it with what you need i'd say, why struggle?

    I couldn't live with an MBA as my only computer thats for sure.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

    bornblind

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #6
    This is what I am thinking I'm going to do. I guess one thing in my head is the amount of $$$ my MBA will lose when the new MBP or Air is released.

    In return, they all seem to hold their resell value well in the past. Thanks for the kind opinion.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Beanoir

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    Location:
    51 degrees North
    #7
    This is what I did with my MBA last year and now i'm regretting it, the late 2010 MBAs were selling for good money until the latest version came out, now if I sold it i'd lose 50% of the vlaue I paid new instead of about 15-20% of the value had I solit last summer.

    So hence why i'm now having to upgrade the SSD for it to continue to be useful to me, rather than sell it and upgrade which would now cost me £600 rather than £200 for the SSD. If i'd have sold and upgraded last year then it would have cost me about £200-300.

    Its all swings and roundabouts I guess but don't expect the MBA to be holding it's value once the new ones are released, thats all i'd say.
     
  8. macrumors 68040

    Wicked1

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #8

    If you do not mind me asking, what did you pay for the MBA and was it in perfect condition, only because I tried once before to buy from BB and the unit was all screwed up, OS was in Portugese and there was a password on the 13", took it back for a full refund, but they are kinda shady at times, but I am in the market for a 13 MBA with 4/128 or 256
     
  9. thread starter macrumors regular

    bornblind

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #9
    It is new condition. I took it to my local Apple store and had it checked out. Everything is good on it. It is a 13 MBA with 4/128. I got it for $900 with tax
     
  10. macrumors 68040

    Wicked1

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #10
    Good price, but how much time is left on the standard warranty?
     
  11. thread starter macrumors regular

    bornblind

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Alabama
    #11
    The full 12 Months. Till March 2013
     
  12. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #12
    Are there any rumours for the date of the new MBA release?
     

Share This Page