I'm trying to convert someone, and I need help answering a Virtual PC question.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by josepht, Apr 14, 2003.

1. josepht macrumors member

josepht

My uncle just upgraded from an old Win95-based Compaq to a Dell with WinXP Home. Naturally, he isn't thrilled with the whole computing experience Windows offers.

He e-mailed me the other day and asked me why I loved Macs so much. I wrote an e-mail back that was almost long enough for a book. I gave him the pros and cons of each side, and he seems to be slightly interested in converting to the Mac OS.

I have encountered a problem, though. You see, he is a pilot for Delta Air Lines, and they require their pilots to use a Windows-only scheduling application on their home computers. I told him about Virtual PC, but I've been wondering if their would be issues between Virtual PC and the in-house Delta scheduling program.

I'm pretty sure their wouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to ask.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

VPC runs almost all pc apps (excepting those that need hardware acceleration), just slower than on a true pc.

3. josepht thread starter macrumors member

josepht

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I still recommend that you test it somehow. Get the program on VPC just to make sure before you buy.

5. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

just make sure that is basically all he will be using in vpc... i have a dual 867 and a gig of ram and vpc is still slow as hell... i wouldnt want him to form his opinion on Macs from seeing vpc run.

Vpc is officially the neatest but most useless (at the present time) piece of software for the Mac... lets hope it will get a speed bump :D