im unable to connect to certain websites. please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jayd, Mar 27, 2007.

1. jayd macrumors member

for some reason my computer cant connect to certain websites on my internet. i tested my internet on my other mac and it works fine. i dont know whats wrong. i cant connect to yahoo and alot of other websites. i talked to verizon and they tried to help me and they couldn't figure out whats wrong. they told me to call apple. i have a macbook pro. a few days ago it was working fine and then all of the sudden when i try to go to certain websites it says cant connect to the server. i didn't buy my computer in a store so im not able to call apple tech support. i have no firewall on. can someone please help me? i tried to connect to these sites from safari and firefox and its not working. i have mac osx 10.4.8

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

In your /Applications/Utilities folder there should be a program called "Network Utility". I'd use that to run a traceroute for whatever sites you can't get to and see where it's failing.

That sounds like an odd bit of advice, but if it's always failing in the same place, then it might be easier to figure out.

Also, just because you didn't buy your comp in a store doesn't mean you can't take it to an Apple Store to have them look at it -- they don't require proof of purchase to take a look at your Mac.

3. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Are you trying to connect to the internet wirelessly or directly?

4. jayd thread starter macrumors member

im connected directly. i just went to tracer route and typed in www.yahoo.com and this is what it said.

Traceroute has started ...

traceroute to www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net (69.147.114.210), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
    traceroute: sendto: No route to host
    1 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    *traceroute: sendto: No route to host
    traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    2 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    3 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    4 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    5 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1
    6 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net 40 chars, ret=-1

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

And what does it say on the computer that works? It just says there's no route, which is less than helpful :) Do you usually connect directly to the internet or do you typically go through a router?

6. jayd thread starter macrumors member

i dont really know alot about computers so im not sure but i have a brand new macbook pro and its connected to my westell model 6100 modem.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Your DNS settings might be the cause. Open up System Preferences, then Network. Select your connection method and click Configure. Click TCP/IP. In there, you'll see a line called DNS. Try making it blank if it's filled in, and also try setting it to the OpenDNS servers, as described here.

8. jayd thread starter macrumors member

i tried deleting everything in the line called dns and it didn't do anything and also when i clicked on the directions for setting it to the OpenDNS servers my internet would not connect. it says safari cant connect to the server so i wasn't able to get the directions? is the only thing im supposed to do is type 208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220 in the dns servers box? if so it didn't work.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Some things also depend on your router itself. Typing those two values into the DNS box is a good start. What's in the others? With mine, I need to provide a specific IP address, because, for whatever reason, DHCP doesn't work so well with my IP-provided router, so I have IPv4 set up to configure manually, have 192.168.1.100 (for example) in the IP Address box, have a "255.255.255.0" subnet mask, and have "192.168.1.1" for the router's IP. A lot depends on your setup. Have you any idea what your router's IP is (from your intranet, not the outside world)? They're usually of the 192.168.xxx.xxx flavor (in most popular routers).

10. aj98 macrumors member

OP hasn't said anything about a router, just that his MBP is connected directly to a westel 6100 modem.

I would speculate the Verizon tech assumed he was behind a router.

So, I'm thinking one of two things:

Its possible Verizon programs their modems to only talk to the MAC address of the CPU that was "registered" with Verizon when the service was initially installed. Which is the purpose of MAC address cloning in most routers.

or

OP, if you are just disconnecting machine one from your modem, then immediately connecting the MBP to your modem (without power cycling the modem) then the modem is still looking for/trying to talk to the other machine, and can't. (different MAC addresses)

So, if you don't have a router, disconnect machine 1, power off the modem, connect the MBP, power on the modem. Wait until the modem has finished its startup routine. Power on the MBP.

If the modem is not tied to a specific MAC address, and assuming no hardware failure(s), then that should take care of it, at least for the short term.

Long term, highly recommend a router if you are going to have more than one machine on-line.

11. jayd thread starter macrumors member

just want you guys to know that i found out what the problem was. the program peer gaurdian was messing up my computer. i deleted the program and now everythings fine. thanks for trying to help me.