I'm waiting until January to buy a Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    I've decided I'm going to wait until January to buy a Mac. Reasons being: Number 1 I currently do not have a job, but have very good leads and I just know I'll have a job within the next few weeks. Number 2 I'm waiting for an update to the iMac, as I don't want to buy an obsolete computer.

Also, I have decided that I also want to buy a PC to just play games on and use the Mac for everything else. PCs are just so superior as gaming machines in that there are so many choices and the games run better than they do on Macs. Does anyone know any good PCs out there for a good price that will be good for playing games even a few years down the road? Yes I know, things will probably have all changed by January (processor upgrades, more memory; etc.), but I'm just looking at specific makes and models right now.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: I'm waiting until January to buy a Mac

Yer best bet, IMO, is to build the PC. It's not hard, and it will save you money in the long run. With that said, I built my first PC 2yrs ago this Xmas. It was on the faster end of "middle of the road" when I built it, but now she's barely, if at all, meeting min. specs for new FPS's. If you love FPS's then yer gonna have upgrade (at least the video card) annually to keep most of th eye candy on. If yer not big on FPS's then yer rig will have a much longer lifespan.

3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Re: I'm waiting until January to buy a Mac

two years ago i would have said build a pc to save money

but now most makers throw in good enough video cards and because they buy in volume, it's very hard to save any money building a machine for yourself

but building a machine, while not a great savings anymore, is fun and you can customize it in a way that even online bto options can't do

the alien machines are pretty good for gaming but somewhat pricey compared to a compaq or dell
  4. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
    Get an Alienware Aurora if you can afford it. I did and it's great.

5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    You're waiting for an update for the iMac, but expected it in the processor speed, graphics card, and PC133 memory if they aren't there already.

Don't hold your breath for a 19" iMac! :D

Ok? :)
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm not going to hope for anything in particular so I won't be disappointed.
  7. demonx macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    Alienware has always been a bit overpriced in my opinion, you can build almost the same system yourself for alot less(minus the colorfull paint job)
    Check here

Also be sure to check out Resller Ratings before you decide on a company to buy from;)
  8. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    "Two things. Shut up." --Shrek

LoL :D
  9. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    eBay is the best. There are oso many people that own small
    companies that just custom build computers and sell them dirt
    cheap on eBay. I got a:

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    512 MB of 333 MHz DDR RAM
    40 Gig HD
    disk drive
    CD-RW drive (40x10x40)
    Windoze XP
    and anything else I will ever need

all for just $700. That is a phenominal price for what I got. I wouldn't
    buy a PC anywhere else after buying on eBay. There is a huge
    selection. Have fun shopping.
  10. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    That's not a great price at all if it has integrated audio and video. What kinda graphics card is that thing sporting?
  11. demonx macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    Ebay is not an option for me on expensive items, I like to know that the person Im buying from can't just dissappear next week.:p

For Systems and Parts you can't be Monarch
    For Parts newegg or directron.

All have high ratings, and good track records plus have been around long enough.